It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to build governance in on the various work item tabs

Glenn Watkins (88245) | asked Nov 26 '15, 4:50 a.m.
Good Afternoon

We are using RTC v 5.0

We need to build in governance on the links tab of the work item, an example is we would like to prevent certain roles from removing / adding attachments, or linking new work items when in a certain state.

Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Glenn Watkins

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Nov 26 '15, 5:21 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Glenn,

you would have to create custom work item advisors for this kind of governance. See Only Owner Can Close WorkItem Advisor as an example to get you started. Some things can be done using JavaScript Attribute Customization also see this workshop, but not what you mention.  

Glenn Watkins selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Glenn Watkins commented Dec 01 '15, 4:02 a.m.

Hi Ralph

Thanks for taking the time to answer, I have read the articles you have referred me to and we are looking at the following as a solution going forward,
We are going to reconstruct our permissions per role and only use the "everyone" for non essential general activities.
From there we have the following options for governing the various work items through the SDLC,
1) We can hide attributes in certain states, this will enforce the work flow and ensure the users are using the status field, as only certain roles perform certain functions in certain states.
2) We can use the "Prevent Editing" option against a role in certain states
3) We can make certain attributes "Read Only" in certain states
We believe this will give more granular control over the process and help enforce effective governance. Do you have any thoughts on this.

Kind Regards
Glenn

One other answer

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813274) | answered Nov 26 '15, 5:21 a.m.

Good Morning, (afternoon) Glenn,

I've done something in the past that essentially give a role permission to update an Admin Attribute:

(Note:  If users do add new attachements you will be notified and it is recorded in the history?)

1. You could apply a new attribute / Boolean that gets set to "True" when it's in specific States (using a Script?)- this attribute has secutiry settings to an Admin role..  so only they can update it to "False" (see step 2)

2. Use a Read Only Script when the new Attribute value is "True" to then make the other attributes "Adding Attachements" or Linking Work Items to Ready Only therefore prevent others updating.  Now this is where I'm not sure if you are able to use a script for those type of attributes?  so maybe someone else can comment.

3. If Admin need to add new attachements or Link new work items then they can edit the Boolean as in step 1 and then reset after the updates.

Not sure if this helps - however it does raise a question for me on a project I'm working on..  so thanks

Regards

Matt Muller

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.