It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to move a Defect item in a Defect Workflow, state 'In Progress' to a Task Workflow in a state 'In Progress' or 'In Review' for example ?

Benjamin Chauviere (37128) | asked Nov 13 '15, 4:29 a.m.
Hello,

I have a defect item in a state 'in progress' from the Defect workflow but I want to move it in a state from the Task workflow. how to make the transition in order to I can use it in the Task workflow ?
I don't want to assign the Task workflow for both type because that make a bug in the statuses.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts,

3 answers

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813274) | answered Nov 13 '15, 5:36 a.m.

Hello Benjamin,

Within the Process configuration each of the work item Types is linked to a Workflow;

You can only change the Type of Work Item and this should re-set the workflow to "New"...

I'm not sure I'm clear on your input and output requirements?

It sounds like you want to edit the workflow for the Defect - which may deliver a new State / Workflow for you?

Anyway let me know if I've misunderstood and I'll try to help

Matt Muller

permanent link
Michele Pegoraro (1.8k14118103) | answered Nov 13 '15, 5:39 a.m.
What you would like to do is not a transaction: you have to perform a change of the work item type from defect to task and then synchronize the attributes (because also them have to change). Regarding the states I don't know exactly how change of work item type works, maybe it search for an existing state in the new workflow with the same name, but I'm not sure about it.

permanent link
Benjamin Chauviere (37128) | answered Nov 13 '15, 5:48 a.m.
Actually I did it by having the same state for the Defect workflow and Task workflow 'called for ex Analysis', then you can move your defect item from a state 'In progress' specific to Defect workflow to 'Analysis' and Analysis is common to Task and Defect Workflow so then you can have both type of item in the same state.
So I could make a migration of all defect tasks from the defect workflow in my new workflow

Thank you for having shared your ideas,

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.