It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Workitem type export and import

Vidya Jothiraman (3313) | asked Oct 23 '15, 5:54 a.m.
edited Oct 23 '15, 9:49 a.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)
Hi

We have a request from a customer where a workitem type has to be exported from one project area and imported into a different project area. A new workitem type has been created in a project area. She needs that type to be imported into another project area so that we dont have to recreate that type again.

Please guide with instructions for it.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Oct 23 '15, 9:50 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Based on the discussion, it is clear that you are not asking about work item templates, but rather about importing a work item type definition from one project area to another.   I've edited the Question title and description to make this clear.

2 answers

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813574) | answered Oct 23 '15, 6:09 a.m.

Work Item Templates do not contain the configuration for Work Items.  If you review the content of the Template you will see it's only the configuration of the attributes.  Are you really talking about "Work Item Template?"

If you export and import templates accorss project areas they both need to have the same WI Types to work;  therefore you need to have the new work item available in the new project.

You have a few options... some more complex to create the work item in the new project.

1. Re-create the work item manually - sometimes this is the quickest option.

2. Copy and Paste the Work Item Configuration in the XML (The first time this is time consuming but then after it starts to become easlier the more you understand the construct of the XML).

3. Investigate the use of Master and Base process configurations - maybe something for the future.

Regards

Matt Muller

Comments
Vidya Jothiraman commented Oct 23 '15, 6:22 a.m. | edited Oct 23 '15, 9:52 a.m.

Hi Matt

let me put my question like this. A new work item type has been created like Task, defect,etc  called "Projectphasetype" and it has few attributes in it. Now this new type should be made available in a different project area so that we can create a workitem of this type.  How do we achieve this ?

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813574) | answered Oct 23 '15, 6:30 a.m.
edited Oct 23 '15, 6:42 a.m.

Hi Vidya,

Then you can't use the Work Item Template to copy it (that I think was your original question)

How to re-create work items in other project Areas; if the project area is already setup.

Then you have the 3 options explained in my original post - to recreate the new Work Item.

I've not looked into V5 or V6 but others may comment on your possible options and also provide a WIKI etc.

Just my view.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.