It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

WebSphere temp directory keeps growing

Steven Tuttle (5079) | asked Oct 23 '15, 8:29 a.m.
 What gets stored in the <was_home>/profiles/<profile_name>/temp directory?  We manage several environments, but one in particular starts running out of disk space and the directory that keeps growing is the temp directory under WebSphere.  We don't see this on our other WebSphere CLM environments.  One this server, temp is 50G which seems ridiculous.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, I don't like having to restart this environment every week just to clean out the temp directory of WebSphere.

Thanks,
Steve Tuttle

Comments
Steven Tuttle commented Oct 23 '15, 9:46 a.m.

date timestamped logs in ccm_war and qm_war:
16G    org.eclipse.birt.chart.engine.log
9.7G    org.eclipse.birt.chart.engine.log

14G    org.eclipse.birt.chart.engine.log
8.7G    org.eclipse.birt.chart.engine.log

Steven Tuttle commented Oct 23 '15, 9:47 a.m.

Can these log files be configured to only grow to a certain size, or can they deleted safely while WebSphere is running without effecting anything?

Kevin Ramer commented Oct 23 '15, 1:15 p.m.

You can truncate the "current" file if desired. It appears you're on a unix environment so:

cat /dev/null > current_log

where current_log would be the newest of those.

I've never looked at those files, nor have I been asked to.  Maybe just throw out the ones older than some number of days.  I have tossed them out as well when the need arose.

I don't see any 'birt' in the log4j.properties so suppressing or setting a rolling logger doesn't seem straighforward.

2 answers

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered Oct 23 '15, 3:05 p.m.
edited Oct 23 '15, 3:06 p.m.
Here's a possible better idea.   Login to your WebSphere console and navigate to Troubleshooting / Log and trace.  Click on the server name, then Change Log Level Details.  Look for "Components and groups" and expand with the + icon.  A new pane will open with a collapsed thing.  Expand it and look for org.eclipse.birt.*.   Root into that and turn up the squelch as high as you'd like ( you want less of the arc filled in )   You'll probably have to bounce the server after saving.

permanent link
Abraham Sweiss (2.4k1331) | answered Apr 07 '16, 6:32 a.m.
my understanding is that the <WAS_Install_Root>/profiles/(profile_name)/temp directory is application specific and so modifying the Websphere logging should not have an effect.  My suggestion would be to periodically stop websphere and clear out the contents of the following temp directories.
/temp
/wstemp
/translog
/workspace

These are all located in the <Websphere_Install_Root>/profiles/(profile_name) directory.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.