It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I associate documentation to a work item?

Peter Steinfeld (11) | asked Nov 26 '07, 1:08 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Some work items are "special" in that they deliver functionality that needs to be documented or noted in the release notes. At the time that the documentation or release notes are being prepared, one needs to be able to find all such work items and extract the relevant information from them to create the documentation or release notes.

Is there a standard way of doing this in Jazz?

5 answers

permanent link
Aaron Cohen (8207851) | answered Nov 27 '07, 5:25 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am not sure if I completely understand your question. However you may
want to consider adding keywords to the workitems so that you can query on
them later.

permanent link
Tobias Widmer (761) | answered Nov 27 '07, 5:48 p.m.
Hi Peter

Have a look at the Generate Build Notes action available from the context menu of a work item query. This action collects all build notes added to a work item and produces some sort of build notes.

HTH,
Tobias

permanent link
David Olsen (5237) | answered Nov 27 '07, 7:28 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
zrltkw wrote:
Have a look at the Generate Build Notes action available from the
context menu of a work item query.

What does that command actually do? Where does it put the results?

I ran that command on one of my queries and didn't notice it having any
effect. And I can't find any documentation of the command.

permanent link
Martha (Ruby) Andrews (3.0k44251) | answered Nov 28 '07, 2:59 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Dave,

The "Generate Build Notes" action creates an HTML file in your temp directory with the text of the build notes found for the query. In order to see any results, the query must find at least one work item that has build notes.

To create build notes for a work item, open the work item in the Work Item Editor. Click the "Add Build Notes" button on the main Team Concert toolbar. By default, it is the last button on the right. In M3 it has an icon similar to that of the New Work Item button. Clicking the button will create a "Custom" tab in the Work Item Editor. (You may need to close and re-open the editor to see the tab. I saw that problem in M3, but not in M4).

Enter the text of your build note on the Custom Tab.

When you run the "Generate Build Notes" action on a query that finds the work item you just modified, you will see a new editor open with the HTML file that was created.

permanent link
Seth Packham (1.4k42213) | answered Nov 30 '07, 12:07 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
This is important, not just for release notes, but for any work item that has documentation impact. A small UI change could make dozens of help topics or tutorials or videos suddenly inaccurate or wrong.

Possible solutions:

1. Subscribe your team's information developer
2. Create a child work item for the required doc changes, and assign it to doc team.
3. Use some tag.
4. Add information developer as an approver on work item.
5. Add some field to work item for "Doc impact".

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.