It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Store data into the RTC database

Paul B (21213) | asked Aug 26 '15, 9:26 p.m.
 Hi all,

I'm very new to RTC and don't know much about it. What I'm trying to do is in the custom Work Item I have created, I want to store an data as a key/value pair. So for example store a person as the key and their set of attributes. If a user selects a persons name, I want it to populate the remaining attributes pulling the data from the set of values.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Arun K Sriramaiah (3.2k13177) | answered Aug 28 '15, 7:09 a.m.
 Hi Paul,

Please find the link below,  I think it can be achieved by enumeration.

https://jazz.net/library/article/1003#customattributetypes

Let me know do you have any further questions.

Regards,
Arun.

Paul B selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Aug 28 '15, 7:54 a.m.
RTC does not provide any mechanism to create new data types in the database, nor any mechanism to write/read the database.   you can create a custom attribute as described above, but there is no support for new data types.

Comments
Paul B commented Aug 29 '15, 4:23 a.m. | edited Nov 07 '15, 7:31 p.m.

Thanks Sam and Arun for your replies. The last thing I want to know is if I can pull data from an excel spreadsheet so I can use it in a custom attribute. I have an attribute (enumeration) that will need to have about 100 possibilities and I don't want to manually enter these in by hand. I know it seems epic but that's one of the criteria that will need to be selected on the work item.

Thanks again.

sam detweiler commented Aug 29 '15, 6:24 a.m.

not directly, but you can do it..

if you look at the XML of the process config and find where the other enums are defined, then you can see the text..

and then you can use excel functions to generate the text for the new entries and copy paste them into the xml..

be careful over time that a value doesn't change its ID..

Paul B commented Aug 31 '15, 2:26 a.m.

Excellent, found the XML and the location to add them in. Thanks Sam! I see you've been on here for a while Sam so feel free to answer my other question (in another post) regarding plugins :)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.