It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to easily set isHeading to true for exported heading type artifacts from Excel

Tiffany Pei (139523) | asked Jul 08 '15, 11:26 a.m.
I am exporting a large amount of artifacts from Excel to Doors Next Gen. By following the instructions in
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/201299/heading-artifacts-are-not-displayed-as-heading-in-a-module , I know that I need to create a new column called isHeading and then set a cell in that column to true if the artifact is of heading type.
I would like to know if there is an easy way (without VBA programing) to set all heading type artifacts to true for isHeading column???

Accepted answer

permanent link
Howard Hsiao (5.5k17) | answered Jul 09 '15, 2:02 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jul 09 '15, 2:04 a.m.
This question looks more like an Excel question than DOORS Next Generation question :)
You can set it easily with Excel's "auto fill" function.
Let's say you have a header row and 5 existing columns, column A, B, C, D and E.
Column A is your Artifact Type column and MyHeading is the artifact type that represents heading column.
What you need to do is:
1. right mouse click on column A and select Insert  to insert a column 
2. in cell A1, type in "isHeading"
3. in A2, type in "=if(B2="MyHeading", true)" and then press Enter
4. hover mouse cursor to bottom right of cell A2 until you see it change to a thin black cross
5. double click

You will see that column A instantly filled with true's and false's with the MyHeading type rows set to true.

PS. The reason to do the initial column insertion (rather than adding a new column at column F) is that Artifact Type will be certain to have value. Double click to perform auto fill for all cells will only work if all cells in its neighbouring column have values.
Tiffany Pei selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.