It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to configure tomcat service?

Jo Alamares (111) | asked Jul 03 '15, 5:05 a.m.
retagged Jul 14 '15, 8:40 a.m. by Dr. Hans-Joachim Pross (1.1k4458)

My configuration is: CLM 6.0; Tomcat; Derby DB.  This standalone installation is for testing purposes only.

I have configured tomcat to run as a service according to the instructions in the info center.  However, even when the service shows started, my webpage https://localhost:9443/jts/admin says "Page can't be displayed".

When I run the command manually, I get the following

E:\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat\bin>startup.bat
The JRE_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
This environment variable is needed to run this program

However, running the following seems to startup the server properly. 

E:\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server>server.startup.bat

How do I get this command to run as the service so that my server will be persistent?

Comments
Donald Nong commented Jul 06 '15, 7:54 p.m.

Based on the question at the end of your post, it appears that you do not truly understand the steps for configuring the Tomcat server as Windows service. The steps effectively move the configuration details from the server.startup.bat to the Windows service, and the Windows service does not rely on the server.startup.bat at all. Read the instructions again carefully.
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_6.0.0/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_run_rqm64_win_service.html

2 answers

permanent link
Taki Nakajo (1.1k2846) | answered Jul 03 '15, 5:29 a.m.
Hi Jo, It seems the configuration the tomcat7 service to run as a service still wrong since you can start the JTS server by E:\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server>server.startup.bat.

Can you follow the instruction on the online help Configuring Apache Tomcat server to run as a Windows service carefully? Especially the procedure steps 1, 8 and 9.

permanent link
Dr. Hans-Joachim Pross (1.1k4458) | answered Jul 14 '15, 8:39 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
It is very cumbersome and error-prone to do this modifications in the teamserver.properties and log4j.properties files manually and it would be more than comfort to deliver a script to do this.

Comments
Donald Nong commented Jul 19 '15, 9:50 p.m.

A script does not make it easier in my opinion. When converting the relative paths to absolute path, you still need to provide the missing bit - which can introduce errors as well.

Dr. Hans-Joachim Pross commented Jul 20 '15, 4:01 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I do not agree.
A script could find out by itself or ask the install directory once and use this input to change the relative pathes to absolute ones. This would be less error prone, than manually modifying a felt dozen of files.

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 20 '15, 6:23 a.m. | edited Jul 20 '15, 6:23 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I am all for automation, however.......

I am not even sure if this is scriptable on Windows.

In addition the parameters can be different in different deployments - customized to increase performance etc. especially when upgrading. Not sure if you can rely on a script to pull that out of an environment.

Other OS's have other means to do that and you'd need numerous scripts and potentially also make it adoptable to different environments.

It would likely get terribly complicated.

Dr. Hans-Joachim Pross commented Jul 20 '15, 6:39 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes, it might be complicated. But I have checked the man page
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_6.0.0/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_run_rqm64_win_service.html

For me it looks like the root path is the same for all 34!! places to be edited as described. And yes, it might be different for other OS, but the man page also does only describe a way for Linux. Why not start with this?

Thomas Karlkvist commented Feb 14 '16, 8:38 a.m. | edited Feb 14 '16, 7:00 p.m.

When it comes to scripting, Perl is doable even in Windows  :P

It is a fairly simple setup for a timeconsuming editing of references, and well worth scripting

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.