It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What's the recommended approach to setting Suspicion Profiles Crossing RDNG PAs?

Taly Hotimsky (2714557) | asked Jun 24 '15, 4:04 p.m.
 We have a scenario where Business Requirements are captured in one PA and System Requirements in another.
When setting a Suspicion Profile to watch changes in these, we came across the following:

When changing an SR, we correctly see the Suspicion on the SR PA.
However, on the BR PA, the artifact is not shown as suspect.

Is this a bug, a limitation or just something that would required additional configuration on the profiles?

For reference, this is on RDNG 5.0

Accepted answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Jun 29 '15, 10:16 p.m.
You probably have not configured the suspicion profiles correctly.

Let's say your two projects are called "Business Requirements" and "System Requirements" respectively and you want to monitor the "Link To/Link From" relationship. Here is the check list.
1. The two projects are associated with one another with the "Provides Related Requirements" relationship.
2. In the details page of "Suspicion Profiles for Business Requirements", there are at least two sections of link types to follow - "Link Types for Business Requirements" and "Link Types for System Requirements". Make sure that the "Link" link type is at "Watching" state in the "Link Types for System Requirements" section (important).
3. Make sure that the suspicion profile is enabled in the "Business Requirements" project.
4. In the details page of "Suspicion Profiles for System Requirements", there are at least two sections of link types to follow - "Link Types for Business Requirements" and "Link Types for System Requirements". Make sure that the "Link" link type is at "Watching" state in the "Link Types for Business Requirements" section (important).
5. Make sure that the suspicion profile is enabled in the "System Requirements" project.

Based on your description, it appears that only the link types in the "Link Types for System Requirements" section of "Suspicion Profiles for System Requirements" are being monitored. In other words, only links within the same project "System Requirements" are being monitored. You need to enable the "cross project" bit as mentioned above.
Taly Hotimsky selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Taly Hotimsky commented Jun 30 '15, 9:12 a.m.

Thanks for the clarification. Indeed, that's not exactly the setup we have. I'll be making the recommended changes to ensure it meets what you described.

Taly Hotimsky commented Jul 05 '15, 11:15 a.m.

@dnong - The suggested setup worked, with one consideration.

When clearing suspect state from one PA, that information doesn't carry over to the other, requiring the suspicion to be cleared twice (once in each PA).
I couldn't find a defect for this. Are you aware of any or should I go ahead and open one?

Donald Nong commented Jul 05 '15, 11:02 p.m.

That's an expected behavior and not a defect.
The suspect state is for an artifact, under a suspicion profile. It is not another "link" relationship, so there is nothing to "carry over".
Let's put it this way, the suspicion profile only monitor "incoming" relationships, and does not care about "outgoing" relationships. Incoming changes flag the artifacts as suspects. When you clear the suspect status, you basically say "let's ignore these changes".

Taly Hotimsky commented Jul 05 '15, 11:13 p.m.

@dnong - I'm not sure I understand.

I'd expect the behavior to be the same as "in-PA".

Say you have Reqs A and B in the same PA.
When I clear suspicion for A (either from within the artifact details or from the Links section in B) I will no longer see the suspect indicator for A anywhere.

Now, say A is in PA 1 and B in PA 2.
When I clear the suspicion for A in A's details page, if I go to the Links section in B I still see the suspect indicator next to A.
Alternatively, if I clear A's suspicion in B's Links, I'll see the suspect indicator still in A's details page.

Is this really the expected and designed behavior? Is there any benefit in having the tool behave this way that I'm missing?

Donald Nong commented Jul 06 '15, 12:08 a.m.

It appears that I'm wrong in saying the suspicion profile not caring about the "outgoing" relationship. When an artifact is causing another artifact to be a suspect, the outgoing suspicion is flagged in the link section and the "Clear All Suspicion" icon becomes enabled in the overview section.
If both the outgoing and incoming suspicion are in the same project area (or under the same suspicion profile), using the "Clear All Suspicion" (or "Clear for profile") function will clear both suspicion.
If however the outgoing and incoming suspicion are in different project areas (hence definitely in different suspicion profiles), there is currently no such function to clear the suspicion in both profiles. As mentioned earlier, RM only clear suspicion within the profile.
I'm leaning towards an RFE to improve this bit, and the functionality is limited to RM only. So it will not work for a CCM/RM or QM/RM.

One other answer

permanent link
Thomas Stephens (17311318) | answered Jun 30 '15, 10:57 a.m.
So, only projects with explicit connections can report suspect links?
What about the case where the Only interaction allowed between the projects is the link?
We have over 150 projects and growing. Managing the association between project A and project B just to get suspect flags is a lot of overhead.

Comments
Donald Nong commented Jul 01 '15, 9:17 p.m.

If the suspicious profile is not bound to a project area, it will mean that the tracking will check the entire repository for changes for each update period. Is it what you want? If so, you can open an RFE to change the current implementation.
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.