It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do you load a workspace with files that contain ':' or folders ending with ' '?

Jamie Berry (14014196) | asked Jun 24 '15, 11:35 a.m.
 We have a project area that has had files added to their component with colons, ':', in the file name.  There was also a folder added that ended in a space, ' '.  When a few users attempted to load their workspace on a Windows 7 machine via Eclipse with RTC 5.0.2 or 4.0.2, the load failed due to the ':' and the ' ' in the item names.  We also attempted loading the component using the Windows Shell Integration, and it failed there as well.

The error we received was an Internal error during "Loading repository items".  A dump from the Eclipse log after attempting to load a file that had :58 in the file name is below:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Path must include project and resource name: /58
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Assert.isLegal(Assert.java:63)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.newResource(Workspace.java:2169)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Container.getFile(Container.java:208)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.rcp.core.internal.resources.ResourceStorageManager.resolveFileStorage(ResourceStorageManager.java:197)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.SharingManager.resolveFileStorage(SharingManager.java:1058)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.FileStorageWrapper.getUnderlyingStorage(FileStorageWrapper.java:105)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.FileStorageWrapper.getActualNameOnDisk(FileStorageWrapper.java:713)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.load.MergeLoadMutator.load(MergeLoadMutator.java:594)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.load.MergeLoadMutator.execute(MergeLoadMutator.java:319)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.operations.FileSystemOperation.run(FileSystemOperation.java:90)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.operations.LoadOperation.load(LoadOperation.java:1105)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.operations.LoadOperation$1.run(LoadOperation.java:715)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.rcp.core.internal.resources.ResourceSharingManager$1.run(ResourceSharingManager.java:77)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.run(Workspace.java:2344)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.rcp.core.internal.resources.ResourceSharingManager.runWithinFileSystemLock(ResourceSharingManager.java:89)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.operations.FileSystemOperation.runWithinFileSystemLock(FileSystemOperation.java:165)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.operations.FileSystemOperation.runWithinFileSystemLock(FileSystemOperation.java:145)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.operations.LoadOperation.execute(LoadOperation.java:753)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.operations.FileSystemOperation.run(FileSystemOperation.java:90)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.ide.ui.internal.wizards.load.LoadOperationInput$3.repositoryRun(LoadOperationInput.java:322)
at com.ibm.team.repository.rcp.ui.operations.RepositoryOperation.run(RepositoryOperation.java:43)
at com.ibm.team.repository.rcp.ui.operations.JobRunner.run(JobRunner.java:240)
at com.ibm.team.repository.rcp.ui.operations.JobRunner$1.run(JobRunner.java:63)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

We were able to get around this by using the Web client to rename the files and the folder, but I am still curious what the issue is.  We supposedly have some people who are able to load the components.  The files were added to the component using RTC on Windows (I believe it may have been RTC 4.0.2).

Thanks,
Jamie.

One answer

permanent link
Zeeshan Choudhry (6541612) | answered Jun 25 '15, 1:43 p.m.
Can you explain how you added a ":" name to a file on Windows?
Also how the space was added to the Folder name at the end?
I can not use ":" to the file name on Windows. And space at the end is truncated. 

Comments
Jamie Berry commented Jun 25 '15, 3:15 p.m.

It is my understanding that the folder and files were created on Linux, and then copied over to Windows.  I confirmed that I can use cygwin to create a folder ending in a ' '.  When I tried creating a file with ':', it replaced it with a different character.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.