It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do you set a user's password

Andrew DeFaria (161151) | asked Jun 19 '09, 4:18 p.m.
... to a known quantity? I created a user as admin and I wish to set it to a known quantity. When you first create a user and it sends out an invite sometimes it fails. Something about permissions problem. In any event I don't even have the invite to reference.

I thought that I fixed that permission problem and decided to create yet another user with one of my secondary email addresses. Turns out this failed too. I tried logging in as this 3rd user and found that password == username worked! Tried password == username on the second user I created. Doesn't work. So I wanted to go into user administration and nail the password to a known quantity. However the Change Password button is greyed out. So, again, how do you set a user's password?

7 answers

permanent link
Ryan Manwiller (1.3k1) | answered Jun 19 '09, 7:17 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I believe the Change Password button will be disabled if your external user registry is not writable.

permanent link
Andrew DeFaria (161151) | answered Jun 21 '09, 12:48 p.m.
And how do I make my external user registry writable?!?

permanent link
Ryan Manwiller (1.3k1) | answered Jun 22 '09, 8:56 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
It depends on whether you are using tomcat, LDAP, etc...

I don't know how to fully answer your question. I just know that you cannot change the password in RTC if the user registry is not writable.

It might help if you provided more information, such as the version of RTC, which app server you are using, and whether you are using LDAP.

---
Ryan Manwiller
Jazz Team

permanent link
Andrew DeFaria (161151) | answered Jun 22 '09, 1:46 p.m.
I'm running Tomcat, not LDAP. I'm running RTC 2.0 (RC2 I think).

permanent link
Ryan Manwiller (1.3k1) | answered Jun 22 '09, 2:46 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The expert on this is out of the office... so I'll keep digging myself into a hole here... maybe it will help you :-)

What I've found so far is it appears an admin cannot change another user's password in the web ui (lame). I don't know if this is expected, but its what I'm seeing as well.

In the RTC eclipse client, logged in as an admin, I am able to open another user's editor and there is a Reset Password button.

Open the Team Artifacts view, expand Repository Connections. Right click the repository -> Administer -> Open Users. Then search for the user.

When I tried this, it told me I had to first enable email. So, I went to the jazz web ui Server page, Email Settings, and set up the email.

Then, restart my eclipse client, and edit the user again. I was able to reset the password. It emailed the new password to the user's configured email address.

Hope that helps,
Ryan

permanent link
Andrew DeFaria (161151) | answered Jun 22 '09, 11:03 p.m.
It does help. I did see that reset password button before and I believe I even selected it. Didn't know what it did. It should tell you "A reset password has been sent to <email>" or something like that to let you know what happened. Then there's also the question of what that "reset password" might look like...

Still doesn't really answer the question I had which was how to set it to a known quantity. I guess the answer there is - you can't. Oh well. This should work I guess.

Thanks.

Next - learning how to connect Jazz -> CVS...

permanent link
Steve Norman (9113) | answered Sep 10 '09, 10:03 a.m.
It does help. I did see that reset password button before and I believe I even selected it. Didn't know what it did. It should tell you "A reset password has been sent to <email>" or something like that to let you know what happened. Then there's also the question of what that "reset password" might look like...

Thank you for this thread - it has stopped me from tearing my hair out. The reset password option definitely needs to notify the admin that an email has been sent to the user - I fear I've just sent about 15 emails to a particular user telling them their password has been reset. I assumed a "reset" would take the password back to the same as when the user was first created (i.e. the same as the username).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.