It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM Excel Importer - Is there a way to add a carriage return if i want to concatenate two columns in Excel through the importer.

w h (191824) | asked May 07 '15, 9:02 a.m.
I'm trying to use the importer to concatenate two columns.  I know I can do something like testcase.description= A & " - " & B so I can merge two lines of text into my Test Case description.  However, this puts it in one line, I need to add a carriage return like (A & \n & B) so the data will be separate in more of a paragraph format.  Is there a way to do this? We tried some ASCII (CHR(34), (13), \n,) but not sure if this is possible or if we have the wrong syntax. Thanks

Accepted answer

permanent link
Reshma Ratnani (1.1k1) | answered May 08 '15, 12:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Try using br tag to append the columns.
Refer sample Testplan_Testcase_Testscript_TER_Environment_Iteration_AllInOne.cfg present in the Samples folder which came with the importer installation.  Look at the line configuration.description, here the value is prepared by appending column and text with br tag <br>

Hope this helps
w h selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Uma venkata Lekkala (52519) | answered May 07 '15, 2:18 p.m.
edited May 07 '15, 2:20 p.m.
 Where are you trying to import this data into? Description field? Are you conditioning your data in excel template PRIOR to import?

Comments
w h commented May 07 '15, 3:53 p.m.

Importing the data into the step description actually. Regardless, the issue is we would rather not concatenate the data in excel as its a template, but use the importer to add a carriage return instead of a space or delimiter character, which we know can concatenate 2 separate excel columns, i.e. testcase.dc:description= A & " - " & B

permanent link
Uma venkata Lekkala (52519) | answered May 07 '15, 4:44 p.m.
edited May 07 '15, 4:47 p.m.
 You can concatenate the data in excel template, you just need to update your config file (.cfg) to accurately map the concatenated column now. If you have a column already defined for test step, simply update that column with the desired data format

Comments
w h commented May 07 '15, 5:22 p.m.

Thanks for the suggestion.  This is a workaround that we are currently using but does not answer the question.  

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.