It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Difference between Ignore List and Platform Ignores

Bob Oakley (611) | asked Jun 05 '09, 11:02 a.m.
Hi,

When I'm in the Project Explorer, right-click on a file and select Ignore I see that it gets added to the Ignore List (e.g. .jazzignore). Further, I can see the effect of using Window->Preferences...,Team, Ignored Resources (e.g. Platform Ignores). However, I'm having difficulty distinguising when to use one versus the other. The implication is that those in the Platform Ignores will apply to all team members versus those in .jazzignore which would apply only to me.

Could you clarify?

Thanks...Bob

3 answers

permanent link
Evan Hughes (2.4k1318) | answered Jun 05 '09, 11:17 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Platform ignores (those available via "Window > Preferences > Team > Ignored Resources") are not shared with your team members. They are part of your eclipse settings, and are respected for compatibility with other plugins (since plugins can declare a list of patterns they think team providers should ignore).

The ignore list (aka .jazzignore) is shared. It stores the list of ignore patterns in a file in your shared filesystem is flowed out into other streams/workspaces as part of change sets.

Since it's shared, .jazzignore is the preferred way of declaring ignore patterns.

permanent link
Bob Oakley (611) | answered Jun 05 '09, 11:23 a.m.
Thanks for your quick response. In case you hadn't guessed, I'm relatively new to Eclipse.

One more question, since I may want to have files ignored that are private to me and not other team members, then I should include .jazzignore as an ignored resource as well right?

Thanks again...Bob

permanent link
Evan Hughes (2.4k1318) | answered Jun 05 '09, 1:45 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
One more question, since I may want to have files ignored that are private to me and not other team members, then I should include .jazzignore as an ignored resource as well right?

Yup.

e

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.