It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Custom instalation and setup of RTC

Ricardo Costa (1727) | asked Apr 28 '15, 9:56 a.m.
edited May 29 '15, 1:29 p.m.
Hi,

I'll start using RTC (version 5.0.2)  in a few weeks and I'm a newbie. The RTC was customized by my client and it has a few limitations that it doesn't make my work easier.

1) There are 4 fixed streams, one for each environment (develop, quality, pre-prodution and prodution)
2) Cannot create extra streams, baselines or snapshots
3) From my workspace I can only deliver to the devolopment stream.
4) No one can deliver directly to the other streams
5) The code "flows" from the workspace to develop stream -> quality stream -> pre-prodution stream -> prodution stream

One big problem is that very often the code in develop/quality streams has features that aren't present in pre-produtcion/production. But when I have to fix code in the pre-production/production streams I have to "rollback" the entire code in develop/quality streams then apply the fix and flow the code to pre-production/production streams. In the end I have to update the develop/quality streams again to the current code.

Does this seem natural/normal? Agile?

Can you help me? Thanks

Ricardo

Comments
Abraham Sweiss commented Apr 30 '15, 4:09 p.m.

What is the tehcnical requirement that  baselines/snapshots can not be created?

Ricardo Costa commented Apr 30 '15, 4:20 p.m. | edited May 01 '15, 9:04 a.m.

Hi,  it's a large organization and I don't know the reason for those decisions. 

It seems logical that baselines and snapshots could be created but they can't. 

And also I cannot deliver code directly to maintenance streams. This makes my work very hard. 

Does this seems reasonable? 

Thanks

Abraham Sweiss commented Apr 30 '15, 4:29 p.m.

Not being able to create baselines/snapshots does not seem to make sence to me.  However there must be a valid reason why the company went down that path.  I would suggest discussing this with the project manager to see what can be done.  Otherwise, unless someone else on this forum has a better solution then the one you are already doing, not much more can be done.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered May 01 '15, 3:59 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
If they want you to fix bugs in pre-production or production without first delivering all changes currently in develop and quality, then you cannot do so unless they let you flow changes directly to pre-production or production.  

I agree with Abraham that a restriction on creating baselines/snapshots makes no sense, but creating baselines/snapshots will not help you with this scenario.   They either need to let you flow all changes in develop and quality along with your bug fixes to pre-production and production, or they need to let you flow changes directly to pre-production or production.
Ricardo Costa selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ricardo Costa commented May 04 '15, 6:14 a.m.

Yes I agree, creating baselines/snapshots doesn't help me in this scenario but it's just one of the many features that are restricted.

Flowing all the changes from dev/qua to pre/prod sometimes it's not possible because there are new features/code that needs to be tested. So it seems that the most reasonably thing to do is to let the team flow bug fixes directly to pre/production

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.