It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

First build questions -- Why delete the build workspace? Why build as the builder?

Mahari Hill (4861169230) | asked Nov 18 '14, 10:01 a.m.
CLM 4.0.5

For some reason....our previous person deleted the build workspace after each build? I don't remember reading about it anywhere. This group, unlike our others, also had the release guy log in to the build machine and accept all changes as the builder and do a build...

Is there any value to recreating the workspace? Or even deleting it?
Is there any value to logging in the build machine as the builder and accepting changes and doing the build manually?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Jeff Care (1.0k3833) | answered Nov 18 '14, 10:10 a.m.
How much do you trust that your "clean" targets actually restore a pristine state? If you don't trust them then it makes sense to blow away the sandbox & reload each time. I've worked in groups where we also rebooted the build engine before every build. It just depends on how paranoid you are. For example, I'd be much less inclined to trust that an Ant-based build's "clean" target actually restores a pristine state, compared to a Maven build.

If you want to cherry-pick changes, instead of just accepting all, I don't know of a built in way in RTC to do that (other than the manual approach you describe).
Mahari Hill selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Alan Sampson commented Nov 18 '14, 11:49 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

This wiki entry: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/RTCSlowBuilds discusses incremental v. clean builds and discusses the pros and cons of both approaches.

Jeff Care commented Nov 18 '14, 12:17 p.m.

A true incremental build is the holy grail...IMO though for Java-based products it's just not worth the effort unless your project is trivially small (in which case the time benefit probably is minimal).

Mahari Hill commented Dec 09 '14, 11:00 a.m.

Thanks for the answers, I have found that they were A) doing a personal build B) using ant script to copy "out of the build" directory somewhere else, and then doing a build...which seems pointless.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.