It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Check-In and associate work item in Visual Studio does have different results

Karthik Krishnan (8825118163) | asked Apr 01 '15, 11:42 a.m.
RTC 5.0.1 VS Plugin on VS 2010 Professional

Use Case 1
After making a change, 
- the pending changes show the unresolved items
- action "Check in -> new change set"
- Make change to a different file
- Right click and select "Check-In and associate work item" and select a work item (1234)

At this point all the change sets are associated with this selected work item, which is not what is expected

Use Case 2
After making a change, 
- the pending changes show the unresolved items
Right click and select "Check-In and associate work item" and select a work item (1234)
- Make a change to a different file
- Right click and select "Check-In and associate work item" and select a work item (5678)

Now all the change sets are associated with work items 1234 & 5678 

This is not the expected behaviour (from user stand point)

Is this how the VS client supposed to work?

What is the use case behind the "Check-In and associate work item" action in VS client?

Thank you

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Apr 01 '15, 12:47 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I also would have expected that the "associate work item" would only apply to the change set that is receiving the checkin (or change sets that are receiving the checkins, if there are multiple files being checked in to different change sets as part of a single operation).   I'd suggest submitting a defect (development of course might just convert it to an enhancement request, if they intended it to work that way, but this would be a good way to find out).

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 02 '15, 3:26 a.m.
This is as designed and works that way forever. The reason is basically this:

If you have a change set that is not completed in a component and check in a change (to a file), the change goes into the current change set ( which is the one that is already there).
If you associate a work item with the change set and there is already one associated, the new work item is simply added as well.

If you want multiple change sets, you have to make sure to create them and set the current one. "Check-In and associate work item" always uses the current change set as target.

You can create a new change set and check the change into that, unless the same file is already changed and the change checked into another change set that is not yet completed.

Comments
Karthik Krishnan commented Apr 02 '15, 7:28 a.m.

Thanks Ralph for the answer.

Then the behaviour is not intuitive from a user point of view and misleading

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 02 '15, 7:33 a.m.

I tend to disagree.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Apr 05 '15, 7:23 p.m.

Note that Ralph and my answers are consistent.
My point was that if you have changes in different change sets, then if you say "check-in and associate work item", then the "associate work item" should apply only to the change set(s) receiving the checkin.
Ralph's point was that if you say "check-in", it will perform the check-in to whatever is the "current" change set,
Question for Karthik:  In both of your examples, you say "it will associate the work item to all of the change sets".   That sounds like in your example, you are dealing with multiple change sets (in which case my answer should apply).   If on the other hand, all of the changes are being checked in to the same (current) change set, then there is only one change set, and that is of course the change set that the work item has to be applied to (but then you wouldn't have said "all the change sets" :-).

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 07 '15, 3:42 a.m.

Use case 1: if the files are in one component and assuming that there is no incomplete change set, there should be only one change set.

Please note, a change set exists in one component.

If referring to multiple change sets in use case 1, please explain what is seen. E.g. provide screenshots on the steps.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.