It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I create a new Plan/Top Level work item?

Kim Williams (56133) | asked Aug 12 '16, 4:44 p.m.

I need to create a new work item in the agile and SAFe process templates that will have a work item categorization as "Plan". I need to know what attributes and other characteristics need to be set so that I have a customized work item that behaves like a user story.  I suspect I could copy the user story and modify that, however, because we have already created the work item and it is currently categorized as an "Execution" item, I would prefer to modify the work item by adding the appropriate attributes and characteristics to it.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 15 '16, 3:30 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As far as I can tell, you need to
1. Not categorize it as an execution item
2. If you want to estimate the complexity you also need to add the complexity attribute.

If you do 1 and skip 2, your item would behave like an Epic as far as I can tell.
Kim Williams selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Kim Williams commented Aug 22 '16, 8:34 a.m.

I received confirmation from IBM that the only two steps necessary to make a work item behave as a "sibling" to a user story are as Ralph says above.  To

1.  Categorize the work item as a Plan work item (done in the eclipse client)

2.  To add the shared attribute "Story Points"  in the work item.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.