It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible use RRC stand alone and integrate it with a non-rational tool instead of RTC and RQM? If yes how?

Seema Hanumanthappa (62) | asked Apr 01 '15, 6:22 a.m.
 Using RCC for requirement gathering alone, is it possible to use non-rational tools for test case generation and test case management. Hence establish trace ability between them just as it is done in DOORS next gen.

One answer

permanent link
Paul Ellis (1.3k613) | answered Apr 01 '15, 10:02 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Seema,

It is, as long as the other tool avails of the OSLC specification.  If you use your favourite search engine for "setting up an OSLC friend" then you can see how many other tools such as HP ALM can interact with Rational Requirements Composer/Rational DOORS Next Generation.  Some of them use adapters such as TaskTop to implement links where OSLC is not possible.
It would be simpler to answer if you had specific tools in mind to integrate with, but essentially OSLC is the simplest integration mechanism.  I would imagine that the other tool would also document how to connect to us.

If you have more information, then we can probably be more definitive.
Cheers,
Paul

Comments
Seema Hanumanthappa commented Apr 02 '15, 5:04 a.m.

Hi Paul Ellis, 

Thank you for the above information. What if the other tool is MS XL/Word or HTML files, is integration possible? 
If yes please provide more details.

Regards
Seema

Paul Ellis commented Apr 02 '15, 5:23 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Seema,

I am going to try and ignore the sales pitch angle here, other than to say that if you're using those tools for QM and SCM then there are better ways, even if you use non Rational, free versions.
However, your question is how to do this.  In essence you probably want to simply make use of importing and exporting the data either into CSV files for Excel; use a document generator such Rational Publishing Engine for Word; or use HTML.
See if Importing and Exporting would solve your concerns.

Kind regards,
Paul

Seema Hanumanthappa commented Apr 06 '15, 3:45 a.m.

Thank you, Paul.

I tried exporting my requirements from Sandbox (instead of DOORS) into a CSV file and fed the same as input to the tool which we are using for test case generation. I have tried to run this demo using Sandbox. The problem I faced was the tolerance values were not accepted by the tool. This is causing problems in using the file for integration. 
Example: Say, a requirement states a parameter X should have accuracy of ±3.6 seconds. On feeding this requirement, the output obtained from Sandbox was - " X accuracy is ± 3.6 seconds" in the CSV file. 

Is this problem restricted to Sandbox or will I have the same issue in RRC? Is there any particular way of feeding the tolerance values and similar symbols in DOORS? 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.