It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

NTP Server for Single Server Deployments?

Alastair Beadle (19411218) | asked Jun 25 '13, 5:07 a.m.
retagged Jun 25 '13, 5:30 a.m. by Sunil Kumar R (1.1k13044)
Hi all,
I have a new installation (CLM4.0.1 with RM using Websphere and DB2) where the Websphere server is occasionally crashing. Websphere is showing in its logs 'token expired' errors, which some searching around tells me is sometimes associated with server clocks being out of sync.
I don't have an NTC specified, and I will find a suitable one and test it to see if that is the problem but the whole system (Websphere with the apps and DB2) is on a single server - so my question is:
Do I still need to specify an NTC server for a single server deployment?
Thanks,
Ali

Accepted answer

permanent link
Vidya Malkarnekar (1.0k15) | answered Jun 25 '13, 1:06 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Alastair, if you are seeing "LPTA token expired" errors in  Websphere SystemOut.log, they can be ignored and are not the cause of server crashes. Take a look at  the technote http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21590961 for more information on token errors.  You need to check  if there any java core files which may shed more light on server crashes.
Alastair Beadle selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Alastair Beadle commented Jun 26 '13, 8:34 a.m. | edited Jun 26 '13, 8:34 a.m.

Hi Vidya,
Thanks for the info on LPTA Tokens.
If I ignore those, the only other error I see in the SystemOut log file near to the time of the problem is a SESN0008E error:

[26/06/13 11:51:06:288 BST] 00000068 WASSessionCor E SessionContext checkSecurity SESN0008E: A user authenticated as anonymous has attempted to access a session owned by user:defaultWIMFileBasedRealm/uid=etl_user,o=defaultWIMFileBasedRealm.

Which is covered in the following question: https://jazz.net/forum/questions/99315/websphere-session-error-after-clm-logout-login (although I am not seeing quite the same symptoms as the original questioner - in my case the error is shown in the log file, not on the browser).
I will implement the solution from this question (upgrade to WAS 8.0.0.3, and the customer property) and see how that goes.
Note: It also appears that WebSphere is not actually crashing - just not responding for a long period of time and then recovering and working fine.
Ali

Christian Glockner commented Jun 26 '13, 9:30 a.m.

Alastair,

If you're seeing that WebSphere is not responding for an extended period of time, does that affect all applications, for instance also the WAS Admin Console? Are you able to cleanly stop WAS?

I'm asking because I have seen similar behaviour before when the thread pool size was too small for the amount of work load that was put on the server - this also raises the question of whether your server is in productive use and how many users are on it concurrently (and then also what they're doing).

-Christian

Alastair Beadle commented Jun 28 '13, 3:46 a.m. | edited Jun 28 '13, 3:49 a.m.

Thanks for the help all. Since applying the SESN0008E fix (https://jazz.net/forum/questions/99315/websphere-session-error-after-clm-logout-login) the server has been stable, so that seems to be the solution.

(Christian - it did affect the WAS Console too yes. It is a new install so no users yet except me. However I will keep an eye out for similar problems when users start coming online and consider the thread pool size if that happens - thanks for the tip).

Ali

2 other answers

permanent link
Sunil Kumar R (1.1k13044) | answered Jun 25 '13, 5:29 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hello Alastair, the error could be caused even if the Active Driectory has expired the service accounts password.
Ususally seen if the service account had not be configured to "password never expires".

Could you please check if that is the case?

Best Regards, Sunil

Comments
Alastair Beadle commented Jun 25 '13, 5:40 a.m.

Hi Sunil,
I have not yet connected the system to Active Directory - I am thinking of doing that in the future but at the moment I am using a WAS federated repository for user authentication.
Restarting the WAS server resolved the problem - but it has happened several items now (three times during installation and once since completion) so I am expecting it to happen again.
Ali

Alastair Beadle commented Jun 25 '13, 8:55 a.m.

Hi again,
Actually I think you may be on to the original problem - although I am not using Active Directory I think I may have started the Websphere from the Windows services directly and not "as administrator". I will try starting the server with "Run as Administrator" to see if that makes it more stable.
Ali

Alastair Beadle commented Jun 26 '13, 8:03 a.m.

Hmm - perhaps not. It ran for 18 hours and then locked up again.

permanent link
Indradri Basu (1.8k1514) | answered Jun 25 '13, 5:54 a.m.
Hi Alastair, as far as I know this is a prerequisite for clustered deployments to avoid timestamp discrepancies and not  necessary for single server deployments.

Comments
Alastair Beadle commented Jun 25 '13, 8:53 a.m.

Thanks Indradri, That makes sense. I am beginning to think the problem I am having it is more like the Admin rights issue that Sunil suggested. Ali.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.