It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

AJAX call to populate enum in work item template

Imran Aftab (111) | asked Mar 31 '15, 10:32 a.m.
 Is it possible to perform an AJAX call to fill an enumerable in a work item in RTC?

e.g. Take data from a DB/RESTful call to another application and fill the results from any data interchange format (JSON, XML) into the enumerable drop down list.

I'm happy to follow a guide, the only thing I could find was a bit of javascript that allowed you to add the field up...

2 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Mar 31 '15, 11:37 a.m.
Far as I know you cannot create the enum list on the fly. you can select an entry, or fill in a field.

As I understand it, the reason is that this is  change and configuration mgmt system, with auditing.
so you could never delete any of the data, because it would change history.  an enum entry that is recorded in a workitem but then disappears sometime later with the workitem still coded to use it is a data integrity problem.

Comments
Imran Aftab commented Mar 31 '15, 11:39 a.m.

OK, thanks for that.

Can I pull data from a service, store it in RTC (for change history) and then update it daily? Or on a different frequency..

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Mar 31 '15, 12:34 p.m.
there is no documented way to update enum definitions via api.

one might be able to manipulate the process config XML (I have not done this via an api, I have read it but not changed it). I know that this has been asked on the forums a LOT, but have not seen a reliable solution

Comments
Imran Aftab commented Mar 31 '15, 12:36 p.m.

Thanks for that, it gives me a good starting point. I can't like your answers because I don't have enough reputation.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.