It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a way to switch off time recalculation in RTC 2.0 ?

Thomas Starz (1812015) | asked May 29 '09, 4:48 p.m.
When entering estimates or time values for tasks, as soon as the value (specified in hours) gets higher than one day, it is automatically recalculated to 8h=1d, and so forth. I hated this since RTC 1.0 because this recalculation does not make sense at all if you consider the time to be ideal time.
In ideal time 12 hours are 12 hours. It does not make sense to recalculate that to 1d4h.
12h elapsed time are 1d4h indeed.
12h ideal time are 12h rather.
Is there a way to switch this annoying recalculation off?

Does someone know more details? Any help or comment is really appreciated.

9 answers

permanent link
Thomas Starz (1812015) | answered Jun 05 '09, 6:26 p.m.
Just curious: Does that fact that there is no reply to my question so far mean that you simply cannot switch it off?

permanent link
Anuerin Diaz (4112517) | answered Jun 08 '09, 1:55 a.m.
I logged a similar request for enhancement as I cannot find a way to do this. https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=60807

ciao!

permanent link
Johannes Rieken (1.2k1) | answered Jun 08 '09, 3:56 a.m.
starz wrote:

No. Feel free to log an enhancement request to add hours based
presentations for durations.

--
Cheers, Johannes
Agile Planning Team

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Jun 08 '09, 9:16 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
starz wrote:

No. Feel free to log an enhancement request to add hours based
presentations for durations.

--
Cheers, Johannes
Agile Planning Team

There may be a more general enhancement here to configure the way time is displayed in each field. For example, many organisations plan using an FTE unit rather than days or hours or other duration. It can all be stored in the same way, just need to reformat the display element.

anthony

permanent link
Thomas Starz (1812015) | answered Jun 08 '09, 10:00 a.m.

There may be a more general enhancement here to configure the way time is displayed in each field. For example, many organisations plan using an FTE unit rather than days or hours or other duration. It can all be stored in the same way, just need to reformat the display element.

anthony

I think the feature provided for RTC 2.0 to completely customize the units for stories addresses many needs. Would be interesting to know if this solves what you mentioned by FTE unit?

For tasks, I would suggest to stay with hours. It would be a good start to simply make the recalculation optional.
Anuerin added a link to a corresponding item. Would that be the right place to track this function or should an additional one be opened?

- Thomas

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Jun 08 '09, 10:46 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

anthony

I think the feature provided for RTC 2.0 to completely customize the units for stories addresses many needs. Would be interesting to know if this solves what you mentioned by FTE unit?

For tasks, I would suggest to stay with hours. It would be a good start to simply make the recalculation optional.
Anuerin added a link to a corresponding item. Would that be the right place to track this function or should an additional one be opened?

- Thomas

Let me create a new work item and then reference to Enhancement 60807.

Perhaps we need a new relationship between work items - "somewhat related" :-) (only joking)

anthony

permanent link
Johannes Rieken (1.2k1) | answered Jun 09 '09, 4:32 a.m.
starz wrote:

Anuerin added a link to a corresponding item. Would that be the right
place to track this function or should an additional one be opened?

Please no a new request as the one referenced is about the work item
export. Internally dates are always stored in milliseconds, so what we
need a simply a new representation for it.

--
Cheers, Johannes
Agile Planning Team

permanent link
Thomas Starz (1812015) | answered Jun 12 '09, 4:12 a.m.
Did some quick (certainly statistically not representative) survey from several different teams I know here locally and got quite some votes for having the time in hours without recalculation. So I am pretty confident that this feature would be well appreciated!
- Thomas

permanent link
Nicholas Carbone (6168) | answered Jul 08 '09, 5:53 p.m.
My team is just about to begin using RTC and I have this same concern. Our team wants time displayed in hours.
- Nick Carbone

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.