It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Multiple components in a stream with different types of source.

Henrik Sloth (48514) | asked Mar 03 '15, 8:10 a.m.

What could you recommend in regards of gathering components with different kinds of source code in the same stream.

We are in the process of moving source code into RTC. The next step is to migrate COBOL, PL/1, Assembler, C , C++ and so on from our repositories on z/OS to RTC. We have some ongoing discussions about the organization. We have created migration programs to move the source code, but are in doubt when it comes to the streams and content of these. We have applications which are coded in multiple languages. Some may prefer creating stream with multiple components, each component containing a language specific part of the application. The build should then have multiple build definitions to build the various components. This would however cause a problem if new components were added, since the build workspaces are owned by a build user and would have a scoped flow to only accept the language specific components.

Any suggestions on how to organize this would be great??  

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Mar 03 '15, 11:46 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I'll make a comment, but I'll defer to our z/OS build experts for a real "answer".
Ideally, a stream contains all of the components that make up your "system".  This makes it easy to create a baseline ("snapshot") of the whole system.  A given build will pick up the subset of those components needed for that build (commonly, by using scoped flows in the build workspace, as you suggest above).  

Henrik Sloth commented Mar 03 '15, 1:35 p.m.

I agree and this is how we are doing it for Java, most of the distributed source and even for EGL, but we have not yet mixed sources. Hope to hear from your z-experts.

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.