It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

"Current Iteration" Woes

Lewis Tsao (2174962) | asked Jun 05 '13, 6:57 a.m.
This is a general gripe to solicit more user community comment and views:
My personal experience and lots of questions/answers in the forum indicates if "current iteration" is not set, then lots of things don't work
1. Importing WI CSV, "planned for" does not get populated
2. In plan view, changing "Plan for" of work items.
and many others

Problem is - depending on specific process, having a "current iteration" does not always make sense.

Take for example, some places may to have 1 time line to be used for multiple development teams. Each will have a separate iteration and sub iterations thereof. So, there can be many "current iterations" per timeline, which is not allowed. Selecting 1 current iterations may cause problems on the dashboard where viewlets are hardwired to use "current iteration". Not having a "current iteration" causes problems elsewhere.

So the question is - what is best practice re "current iteration".

Accepted answer

permanent link
Aradhya K (1.4k44345) | answered Jun 06 '13, 5:04 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The best practice is to have different time lines for parallel work.
And also the related teams having its own timeline make sense as they can define their own process.
Having just one Time line for all the teams in a project is not something that is recommended.

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Jun 06 '13, 5:04 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I agree, but there are limitations that motivate users to try to squeeze parallel work into a single timeline ... especially the ability the apply the plan UI's to work that is occurring in more than one logical timeline: As a user I want to define a product plan that spans multiple timelines (94056)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.