It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC project organisation

abdoul thomas (836) | asked Jan 28 '15, 10:20 a.m.

Hello,

I'm deploying RTC. Actually developers work on several hardware and software project and user push request for evolution or bugs reports by word document. Then devloppers add new functionnality or treat bug report. The process is not automized and it's difficult to know if a request is treat or not , how many time leave before a modification, sometime user doesn't really know which softawre and version is concerned because they have not a standard list, etc....

So RTC seems to be a good solution!!

As i have not experience on RTC i have any questions to clarify the organisation of RTC projects and best practice on RTC in general. What is the best solution:

• Create only one RTC project with chronologies or iterations for each developpement (each software project). So project manager will move request from a backlog plan to corresponding iteration's project.
  • Create a project for each software developpement (more than twenty projects) . And as all sofwares have interface each other , request on a software would have impact on another project. Is it possible to rely workitem between deferent rtc project? Is it possible to move workitem from a RTC project to another?
  • Have a mix ?? In fact developpers work on several software perlaps it's a good idea to have a RTC project by software family?

Thanks for your help,

Thomas

Accepted answer

permanent link
Karen Steele (1.2k2139148) | answered Jan 29 '15, 7:24 a.m.
I delivered a presentation at Innovate 2013 on this very topic of "one big pot" or "individual" .. and it really depends on how you intend to use the tooling - if your source code that you build has ties into multiple other streams and functions across the organization then the one entity organized by teams is the way to go. 

If the source code is somewhat standalone e.g. all code you build is for one specific system with no ties into other functions or modules then individual RTC project areas. 

They are all still contained in the same RTC instance, but you have multiple projects within that instance
abdoul thomas selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738) | answered Jan 28 '15, 11:22 a.m.
I would go for the second option: Create a project for each software developpement (more than twenty projects.

Is it possible to rely workitem between deferent rtc project? Yes, it is possible to create cross-project links.
Is it possible to move workitem from a RTC project to another? Yes, you can move workitems across projects within one repository (one ccm application).

permanent link
abdoul thomas (836) | answered Jan 29 '15, 9:23 a.m.

Thank you for your answer.

Our software projects are only related by standardized  interface description (IP communication) and they have their own code an their own configuration management. So I think I will create one RTC project by software and we will manage software evolution's impact with cross link between project.

Thank you ,

Thomas

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.