It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Updating default TASKS for Story work Item

V Niranjan (12545274) | asked Dec 05 '14, 3:35 a.m.
Hi

I am using RTC 5.0.1. I have a situation where in around 7000 STORY items are already imported and as a part of implementation of STORY item there need be 10 TASKS to be implemented. Which means all the 10 TASKS will need to be linked to each STORY.

Is there a way to link the TASKS to the 7000 story items by any means?

Regards
Niranjan V

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Dec 05 '14, 7:00 p.m. | edited Dec 05 '14, 7:00 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Are you sure that there will be 10 substantive tasks on each of these 7000 stories?   By "substantive task", I mean that each task that will take half a day or so?   If not, you should consider some lighter weight mechanism, such as check lists or approvals on the story, and not sub-tasks.
If you really have 35,000 person-days of work that you need to schedule, then I'd suggest using the API (OSLC or Java) to create those tasks.

V Niranjan commented Dec 08 '14, 12:04 a.m.

Yes Geoffrey there are 10 tasks for each of these Story items. The client needs each of these tasks to be attached to the Story items.. Checklists may not work as there are estimates to be entered for these tasks.

Is there a way using API's to attach the same?

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Dec 08 '14, 4:00 a.m.
I don't see how using the API would make this easier. You can of course write a Plain Java Client Library program to do this. See http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/09/19/the-rtc-workitem-link-api-linking-workitems-to-other-elements/ for how to create links.

You can also use the CSV import capability to link work items. you provide the link target ID with # as a prefix in the column for the link type. e.g.

Id, parent
20, #4

Comments
V Niranjan commented Dec 08 '14, 4:11 a.m.

Hi Ralph

Actually the set of 10 TASK items are common for all the 7000 odd Story items.

So if I set the above as mentioned by you then the same TASK id #4 cannot be set for other STORY item

Please let me know.

Regards
Niranjan

Ralph Schoon commented Dec 08 '14, 4:21 a.m. | edited Dec 08 '14, 4:21 a.m.

You obviously can't use a 1:n link type if you want to hook 10 items to 7000 items. Otherwise I don't see the problem. Or I don't understand what you mean.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Dec 08 '14, 9:05 a.m.
the RTC design here is 10 new unique tasks to be completed for each workitem. the tasks would be children on each.

story 42
task 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12

story 50
task 20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29

you could create a workitem template to make it easier for the creator to create all 10 at once, but it is a manual step.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.