It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Edit Related Artifacts Links

golan davidovits (1126) | asked Nov 24 '14, 7:44 a.m.
 Hi,

We have a need to edit Related Artifacts Links in RTC.
Currently there seem to be only delete option.

Is there any workaround?

4 answers

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered Nov 24 '14, 9:51 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hello,
this currently not possible, but should be part of [CCM] Improve link integration - usability and query-ability (291253)

(assuming you might be able to do the change using OSLC API)

Eric

permanent link
golan davidovits (1126) | answered Nov 24 '14, 12:34 p.m.
Thanks for the answer Eric.
Can you estimate this implementation?

This is the general context:
I want to maintain a generic WI template that will be good for many teams. Most of the fields in it are relevant for all but others are team specific. I would like the team specific fields to be constructed dynamically and shown only for the team. Currently i got 1 project with teams in it. I don't want to create a project per team and lose the overall connection.

Since i initialize the WI by script anyway, i thought to create some links with name and dummy value and then let the user change the actual link when available (some of the WI data is links to different tests results per team). That will save me the need to maintain a field for the title and then another one for the actual link. 

However, since editing the link is not possible from RTC the solution can't be implemented.
Do you have any other recommendation?

Thanks,
Golan

Comments
Eric Jodet commented Nov 25 '14, 2:46 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hello Golan,

you may want to use another type of links (ex : affects test results, ...)
These you can modify after creation.

you may also want to check https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ProgrammaticLinkCreation

Eric

permanent link
golan davidovits (1126) | answered Nov 26 '14, 6:32 a.m.
While checking your above suggestion..

I see that edit links in rich text box is supported so i consider maintaining all links is such box.
The issue i see is in query result. The links are coming as single line although in the box they are 1 per line.
It does come well in the print layout though.

Can it be fixed in the query?

Thanks,
Golan

permanent link
golan davidovits (1126) | answered Nov 26 '14, 7:13 a.m.
About your suggestion:
you may want to use another type of links (ex : affects test results, ...)

I need a general link object. 
If i get it right affects test results requires RTC and RQM integration enabled.  Is that right?

Golan

Comments
sam detweiler commented Nov 26 '14, 8:26 a.m.

the reason that a link cannot be edited in place is due to the data storage model used by RTC. the calculation of the item id is based on the type and ids of the endpoints.  this makes this link object unique in the database.  change an end and the id of the link changes..    thus it cannot be THE SAME LINK..

so you have to delete it and create a new one. with the two exact endpoints.which then calculates another unique id.  thus guaranteeing no possible duplicates

golan davidovits commented Nov 26 '14, 11:18 p.m.

Can related artifacts be sorted by name in the WI display?

sam detweiler commented Nov 27 '14, 6:21 a.m.

I do not believe this is possible.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.