It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Using external file test scripts

Frank Rossi (11) | asked May 12 '09, 11:16 p.m.
Hi all,

Bit of background... I'm in an environment which is fairly new to test management tools and they have thousands of test scripts in MS Word and in varying styles/formats.

Even if an import tool was available, I probably still wouldn't want to reformat all those Word docs. So, I want to be able to link a Word doc (or any other file) to a test case/script, and execute it.

I can do this reasonably well in CQTM by; defining a File Location, associating a file to a CTC (as a test script), then being able to add a Test Log against the CTC.

I'm guessing I need an Adapter for this??? Any ideas?

Thank you.

9 answers

permanent link
Helen Lozoraitis (60624) | answered May 13 '09, 4:40 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi, you could attach a doc file in a test script, e.g. to a step called "Run test steps in xyz doc." Then the tester would open the attachment, follow the steps, and mark the step accordingly. Does that help? There is not really a way to "execute" a doc file in RQM.

permanent link
Frank Rossi (11) | answered May 13 '09, 8:50 p.m.
That seems to work OK, it's simple at least which is half the battle.

Now to see if I can import test scripts with attachments...

Thank you Helen.

permanent link
patrick mancini (6) | answered May 14 '09, 12:39 a.m.
There is an existing framework that can be used to import test plans, test scripts and test cases for Excel and Word...this is a Visual Studio project with C# code that allows you to manipulate formats programmatically. This utility works for 1.0 and 1.0.1. Import capabilities are now being designed for next generation RQM.

Currently work is being done on this utility (referred to as MSO2RQM) to add several other typical formats so that import is an easier job. The utility is officially unsupported based on the risks that users can add code to augment the capabilities, which would make it impossible to support in the field unfortunately.

Please reach out to me directly to obtain the utility - it is on an open source location as well which I will find and post.

permanent link
Rajesh Gottapu (20613621) | answered May 19 '09, 11:30 a.m.
There is an existing framework that can be used to import test plans, test scripts and test cases for Excel and Word...this is a Visual Studio project with C# code that allows you to manipulate formats programmatically. This utility works for 1.0 and 1.0.1. Import capabilities are now being designed for next generation RQM.

Currently work is being done on this utility (referred to as MSO2RQM) to add several other typical formats so that import is an easier job. The utility is officially unsupported based on the risks that users can add code to augment the capabilities, which would make it impossible to support in the field unfortunately.

Please reach out to me directly to obtain the utility - it is on an open source location as well which I will find and post.

Hi pmancini,

We just browsed thorugh this post as we are having the requirement of uploading the manual test scripts into RQM which are maintained currently in an Microsoft Excel sheet. The code/utility that you were talking about will be very helpful to us fulffil our requirement.
Can you please send us the share location to my emailid sandy.12111981@gmail.com. Thanks in advance

permanent link
Taher Lashine (6) | answered May 20 '09, 12:59 p.m.
Hi,

I'm really interested in this utility as well.

Can you please share it with me (tlashine@eg.ibm.com)

Thanks

permanent link
Rey Orbe (6) | answered May 20 '09, 10:29 p.m.
Hi
I am interested in this utility as we are using MS excel test scripts. Please share this with me (reynaldo.orbe@us.ibm.com).

Thank you very much

permanent link
Jose Manuel Acosta Duarte (11) | answered Sep 11 '09, 8:15 p.m.
Hi pmancini,

Im interested in this utility too, we are using MS excel test scripts.

Can you share this with me jose.acosta@iteraprocess.com

Please...

Thank you.

permanent link
piyush sharma (6) | answered Nov 04 '09, 11:44 a.m.
Kindly email the link to the utility;

I would like toimport excel test scripts into RQM

piyush
piyushsharma@rogers.com

permanent link
Mark Watson (211) | answered Nov 04 '09, 12:31 p.m.
I believe this is the link you all are looking for. I've been learning to use this import tool the past few days and have had some success with it.

https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-quality-manager/releases/2.0.0.1?p=allDownloads

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to the Extras section to find the link for the import tool, as well as other tools.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.