It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why did my merge fail with "Parent 'xxx' has multiple children with the name 'yyyy'"?

Eddie Breeveld (6112530) | asked Oct 29 '14, 5:17 a.m.
edited Oct 29 '14, 5:35 a.m.
I am accepting a changeset which affects just one text file from another stream.  I get the "component that is pending gap resolution" message, and I say OK to adding the change to the merge queue.

It does some work (very slowly today).  The Gap resolution window appears, but it has (File missing) (Parent missing) against the file I am merging. (This is odd because the file is there and so is the parent).  I click on the file and click Merge... and it says that both the file and its parent are missing.  .  So I click "Set parent folder" and browse to the folder that has the file, click OK. and get another message I don't understand:

Parent '/BUILD/Toolkit/Examples/C#/ToolkitExample' has multiple children with the name 'MainWindow.xaml.cs'.

But there is only one file with this name?  What is going on? 
RTC 4.0.7, Eclipse client, on Windows 7

I am in a hurry so I have manually transferred the changes to the newer stream, but I'd like to know what I am doing wrong.

Comments
Andy Jewell commented Sep 27 '18, 12:16 p.m.

I have the same problem. 

Ralph Schoon commented Sep 28 '18, 3:49 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Andy, please create your own question next time, instead of commenting (or answering) an old question. This one is 4 years old, btw. 

Andy Jewell commented Sep 28 '18, 12:12 p.m.

Ok, will do.. I was just trying to keep the question:answer ratio high.. ;-) 

Geoffrey Clemm commented Sep 30 '18, 1:21 a.m.

Although normally I'd agree with Ralph on commenting on old questions, I'd make an exception for an old question that was unanswered, and is exactly the question that is being re-asked (for the reason Andy mentions). 

I also make an exception for comments of the form "is this answer still correct for the current release".
In both cases, the advantage of commenting/answering the old question is that it avoids the problem of someone finding the old question and not the new one, and getting no information or out-of-date information.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 27 '18, 4:24 p.m.
edited Sep 27 '18, 4:39 p.m.
This means you are trying to create an "evil twin", i.e. add a second file with the same name as an existing file in the directory.   That probably means that when you picked the directory to apply the change, you picked a directory that already had a file that had that name, but a different ID. 
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.