It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC3 and 4 repos in same client and traversing history across them

Lee Bowie (321313) | asked Oct 22 '14, 5:31 p.m.
edited Oct 22 '14, 5:33 p.m.
 We are currently doing a migration from RTC3 to 4 but are only taking head of code stream. I'm looking for advice for getting to the history on the RTC3 repo as painlessly as possible.

Anyone been in this state before? How did you manage traversing history between the two repos?

One answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Oct 22 '14, 6:32 p.m.
edited Oct 22 '14, 10:45 p.m.
Sadly there is no easy mechanism other than  upgrading your V3 system to V4.

see https://jazz.net/library/article/535/ search for 'interim'

basically to get the history without upgrading the old system, you have to use a man in the middle approach.
setup a duplicate level of your existing system, and replicate the streams and workspaces to the new system (snapshots do not replicate)..

then upgrade the man in the middle to the new version, and then replicate again to the new target if it is different.
we had to do that to move a team from a standalone  3.0.1.3 system to a 4.03 corp platform.

we had over 300 streams and workspaces to copy.. I ended up writing a utility to copy all the non workitem data, and my team-mate wrote a utility to copy all the workitem data (attachments, approvals, comments, links) and fixup for the changed workitem numbers..  they left work on Friday using 3.0.1.3 and come into work on monday on 4.0.3 picking up where they left off.. only a couple customized plans didn't get copied over.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.