It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can I prompt for and insert text through a Work Item Template?

Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | asked Sep 04 '14, 3:25 p.m.
I am working on a set of Work Item Templates.  I saw where back in RTC 2.0 days, you could only prompt for PlannedFor and Filed Against.

Has this changed?  What I would like to do is prompt for a generic text string that I can then insert into the Description in a pre-determined place.  Why?  Well, when you create a work item from template, it creates an "empty" one that is displayed in the Work Items view.  However, we end up with alot of these created by accident (they didn't plan on doing it) or duplicates because they don't see that it created it without any input from them and they have to go edit it.  I'd like to prompt them for a text value to insert into the description.  In this way, I have what I need when it is initially created (not opening and editing) AND they would get prompted so that they could cancel if they didn't intend to do this (I can do this with prompting for Planned For or Filed Against although neither or those are things that the creator of this work item should be providing anyway.

One answer

permanent link
Marek Siekierski (817510) | answered Sep 04 '14, 6:37 p.m.
Hi Susan,

As far as I'm aware this has not changed in the newer versions. When creating a new work item template, I can only check to individually set Planned For and Filed Against.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.