It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

"Planned for" attribute values in a Product Backlog plan

Marko Tomljenovic (31647109) | asked Sep 01 '14, 3:59 a.m.
Hi,
can somebody explain which values are shown in the drop down list of a "planned for" attribute. What is the logic for the content of this list?

I am having a Product Backlog based plan and the "Ranked list" view is opened. Now I want to change the iteration for a work item. But the drop down list only shows me some of the possible values. And there is also no entry "more..." like for categories that helps me to choose a different iteration without opening the WI in a separate editor.

Thank you

Accepted answer

permanent link
Jamie Pollard (2612) | answered Sep 01 '14, 5:56 a.m.
Hi Marko, I can't remember the exact rules, but it is very dependent on what you have marked as the 'Current' and future release/iterations in the Timelines section of the admin pages.

Click the Cog icon -> Manage this Project Area and then choose the Timelines section on the left hand side. You can then open up your iterations and ensure that they are correctly marked as past/current/future.

You're right that if you add a separate column, there is no 'Browse' functionality - however if you click on the left hand side of the plan item and use the drop down menu to get to 'Plan For', you do then have the ability to browse for non-default iterations. This technique also has the benefit that you can schedule multiple work items at the same time by using the check boxes. Personally, I'd use the Planned For column for information purposes, and use the drop down menu to actually schedule work items.

Jamie
Marko Tomljenovic selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Marko Tomljenovic commented Sep 01 '14, 6:56 a.m.

Hi,
you are right. I (again) forgot about the context menu since the column based editing feature was so obvious.

Thank you

Jamie Pollard commented Sep 01 '14, 7:04 a.m.

No problem - would you mind marking my answer as 'accepted'?

Many thanks,

Jamie

John S F Lander commented Jan 15 '16, 12:06 p.m. | edited Jan 15 '16, 12:22 p.m.

Having the same problem which is causing issues
The col "Planned For" on the plan is only showing 4 Iterations but there there should be many more to choose from.
Cannot see as per your instructions where to change to Current and Future. RTC version 4.0.7
Yes can use the multi select on the left but that is not entirely what we want and if the col does not show correctly then it is a bug.
If I have missed something please advise.

Many Thanks

John

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.