It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Automatic build after code delivery / SCM polling in RTC

Narasimha Devarapalli (1211010) | asked Aug 22 '14, 1:39 a.m.
edited Aug 22 '14, 2:39 p.m. by Stephanie Taylor (24115)
 Hi,

I want a build automatically (SCM polling from jazz engine) once the code is delivered to stream.

How can achieve this with RTC 5.0. Please suggest me. 

3 answers

permanent link
Lily Wang (4.9k714) | answered Aug 22 '14, 4:22 a.m.
  Hi Narasimha,
In RTC when you create a build definition, please enable "Jazz Source Control" pre-build. Then in the "Jazz Source Control" tab of the bui,d definition, you can enable "Build only if there are changes accepted".
After enabled the scheduler for the build definition, RTC build will check if there's any code changes on the stream. If there is, the build workspace will accept changes from the stream and starts build.
You can refer to the articles below about setup continuous integration build in RTC:
https://jazz.net/library/article/474
https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.team.build.doc/topics/tcreatebuilddefinition.html&scope=null
https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.team.concert.dotnet.doc/topics/c_build_workspaces.html&scope=null

Comments
Narasimha Devarapalli commented Aug 22 '14, 5:25 a.m. | edited Aug 22 '14, 12:06 p.m.
I enabled the check box and I started the scheduler for every minute build.

I found build requests are created every minute but I don't build progress in builds section.

Are builds happening background, how can I see those results....???

Tim Mok commented Aug 22 '14, 12:07 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I have edited your post to be a comment under this answer. In the future, please post as a comment if you're replying to an answer so that it is easier for others to follow a conversation thread.

Jeff Care commented Aug 22 '14, 12:24 p.m.

Every minute is probably too quick - we had problems with that short a duration.

You might have better luck with something a little larger, say 5 minutes. 

Narasimha Devarapalli commented Sep 02 '14, 1:53 a.m.

Hi Jeff,

I've set 30 mins for continuous build and I found scheduled request is created but build is not happening.

Build Engine Log at command prompt:

2014-09-02 11:06:46 [Jazz build engine] Found a scheduled request for build defi
nition "Sample App build def".
2014-09-02 11:06:46 [Jazz build engine] Waiting for request...

Can I see any error log for this issue....If yes, please tell me the location.

permanent link
Narasimha Devarapalli (1211010) | answered Sep 02 '14, 2:20 a.m.
  I just unchecked "Build If only changes are accepted"...Now builds are happening even though I didn't make changes to my repository.

Earlier builds were not happened since I didn't make changes to my source.

Thank you all for inputs

Comments
Lily Wang commented Sep 02 '14, 2:25 a.m.

Hi,

If you have the "Build only if there are changes accepted" enabled in Jazz Source Control tab of the build definition, a build will be made only when new change set has been delivered to the stream and then accept into the build workspace.
 You saw the JBE log:
-----
Found a scheduled request for build definition "Sample App build def".
-----
is because JBE started the build on schedule but found no changes in build workspace so it aborted the build then.

permanent link
Rakesh A (33431) | answered May 06 '20, 9:27 a.m.
Hello, I have configured in above said manner. :
"Build only if there are changes accepted" is checked. Basically new change set has been delivered to the stream and then accept into the build workspace.
Schedule is enabled in Build definition.
But still I don't see build getting triggered.how can this be achieved such that build get triggered only when there is a change in build workspace ?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.