It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Seeing different Iteration dates on different RTC clients?!?

Pravesh Patel (37612615) | asked Apr 30 '09, 6:01 p.m.
Two users reported seeing different data on the same Iteration Plan. So to check this I brought up the Iteration Plan in question, so now 3 of us were looking at the Iteration Plan. I verified that we were all looking at the exact same plan and the plan was being shown in the same way (i.e. Grouped By, Sorted by, Filters, etc.. all set the same).

2 of us were getting 1 Closed, 12 Open in the summary line at the top of the plan and one of us was getting 1 Closed 9 Open. That was strange, but perhaps there was a filtering issue or bug here. Putting that aside, I come to discover that the Iteration dates were showing up differently as well on the Iteration Plan and the Process Specification.

All 3 of us opened the Project Area Editor and looked at the Iteration Dates in the Process Iteration Section. We were seeing different dates defined for the same Iteration! Mine shows 4/27/09-6/5/09 and the other two people were seeing 4/26/09-6/4/09.

We are all using the same version of the Eclipse client. What could be causing this anomaly?

3 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Apr 30 '09, 6:15 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Two users reported seeing different data on the same Iteration Plan. So to check this I brought up the Iteration Plan in question, so now 3 of us were looking at the Iteration Plan. I verified that we were all looking at the exact same plan and the plan was being shown in the same way (i.e. Grouped By, Sorted by, Filters, etc.. all set the same).

2 of us were getting 1 Closed, 12 Open in the summary line at the top of the plan and one of us was getting 1 Closed 9 Open. That was strange, but perhaps there was a filtering issue or bug here. Putting that aside, I come to discover that the Iteration dates were showing up differently as well on the Iteration Plan and the Process Specification.

All 3 of us opened the Project Area Editor and looked at the Iteration Dates in the Process Iteration Section. We were seeing different dates defined for the same Iteration! Mine shows 4/27/09-6/5/09 and the other two people were seeing 4/26/09-6/4/09.

We are all using the same version of the Eclipse client. What could be causing this anomaly?

A thought - are you all in the same location, with your machines set to the same time and time-zone? Anything in the Pending changes Outgoing folder relating to these work items?

anthony

permanent link
Pravesh Patel (37612615) | answered Apr 30 '09, 9:25 p.m.
We are in different timezones and our machines are set to our own respective timezones.

I'm on the east coast and I was the one that setup the iteration dates in the process specification. The server however is on the west coast. So far it seems that the west coast folks are seeing the iteration dates off by -1 day from what I had set. The east coast folk are seeing the dates I set. I'm not sure about Europe and Asia yet.

I'm assuming that the iteration dates are absolute (not relative) and not adjusted at the client.

We are not currently using the SCM so there is nothing in Pending Changes. This issue has to do solely with the iteration dates in the process specification.

permanent link
David Olsen (5237) | answered May 01 '09, 2:01 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
pravesh wrote:
We are in different timezones and our machines are set to our own
respective timezones.

That would do it. Date fields are stored as specific times in the
repository. When a date field is displayed in the UI, the time in the
repository is converted to local time, the time of day part is stripped
off, and only the date part is displayed.

So if you set a date, and if RTC uses midnight local time as the
particular time within that day when storing the date in the repository,
then anyone to the west of you will see the date as the day before the
one you set. To work around your immediate problem, you could have
someone on the west coast set the iteration dates, or you could
temporarily set your computer's time zone to Hawaii when setting the
iteration dates.

Work item due dates had this exact problem in RTC 1.0. The situation
was improved (but not completely fixed) in 1.0.1. See
https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/60125

This is still a problem with iteration dates. See
https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/72367

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.