It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible for a non team member to access a Team Private Component using the API and a script?

John Hetrick (261012) | asked Jul 28 '14, 12:13 p.m.
 I have been experimenting with ways to "share" components across multiple project areas.  Different project areas need access to different components.  No project can be public, so membership is the only mechanism I have found to allow access. To accomplish my desired situation I have created a Code Vault project area.  Within this Code Vault I create a team for each component that needs to be share across multiple projects.  A specific component is then owned by that team (component team) within the Code Vault.  I can make people members of specific teams which allows them access to specific components.  While all members of any team with in the code vault can see that other teams are defined, it appears that they can not see the component(s) that are owned by the other teams.

This allows Project A to see component A if Project A's members are part of Code Vault component team A.  However Project A members can not see or access Code Vault component team B's component(s) since they are not part of that team.

This seems to give me the behavior I am looking for.  However, I am curious if this would work the same way using a script as it does using the UI.  Could a member of Project A write a script using the API and gain access to component B in the Code Vault owned by component team B?

Thanks
John Hetrick

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 29 '14, 4:55 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
No, as far as I can tell, the API's and its usage always respect Permissions and visibility. The server will also not provide the data. Permission aware API calls can however tell you that there is something you can't access with whatever query you did. It will only tell you how many items, but no details.
John Hetrick selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.