It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why am I not able to discard changes sets

Wendy Murphy (1512633) | asked Feb 13 '14, 11:32 a.m.
edited Feb 13 '14, 12:54 p.m. by Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431)
we are using 4.0.5 I have a developer that tried to discard change sets from his workspace. He received the error
Problems occurred running discarding change sets
Reason error while discarding change set
Would create fork/conflict for /build.xml

He actually got frustrated and just deleted the workspace but is extremely unhappy with that as a resolution.

Any ideas

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Feb 13 '14, 4:03 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
This is a pet peeve of mine.  The fact that it would result in a conflict should not block you from discarding a change set.  This issue was first reported in work item discard cannot introduce conflicts (2198) (Jan 2006 :-), and several other work items since then.  Probably the best work item to add your support to would be Allow discarding a change-set when that produces a simple (2-way) merge conflict (20814).  Until that restriction is removed, what you have to do is to ask RTC for the history of the file with the conflict, suspend the merge change set and all of the change sets on one side of the merge, and then accept the change sets on the other side of the merge.
Wendy Murphy selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Wendy Murphy commented Feb 13 '14, 5:03 p.m.

Thanks I started the paper trail. Ranted in each of the work items the open Enhancement 20814 which is 7 years old by the way. Which is associated to an original defect 2198 which you did point out is 2006 8 years old. That was closed as resolved by the enhancement which is not assigned to anyone and sits in backlog. I am sorry but this is not an enhancement it is broken functionality that has plagued the application since the start. I opened an RFE and PMR since have to in order to open an RFE. They will both I am sure get closed out as functions as designed and maybe some day will be fixed. But at least I tried..... This would go along way to resolve angst for developers and good will all along...... Thanks

Geoffrey Clemm commented Feb 14 '14, 1:29 p.m. | edited Feb 14 '14, 1:29 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks for starting the RFE process.   WRT the age of the original request, that just means it never got enough support from the user community yet to have it make it into plan.  Also WRT defect vs. enhancement, that has a formal definition ... a defect is functionality that is not working as documented, while an enhancement is everything else (by that definition, this is an enhancement request).   The severity of the work item indicates how important it is to the submitter ... and there are high severity enhancements that have higher plan priority than low severity defects. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.