It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC SCRUM email notifications

Barb I (71910) | asked Jul 11 '14, 3:07 p.m.

I am familiar with the email templates and the user profile options when it comes to out-of-the-box email notifications. However recently I inherited a project with the SCRUM template. I was told that it should automatically send an email notification to the new Developer  when the Developer field was updated.  It does not.

Does anyone know if this is a built-in feature of the SCRUM template.

We are using RTC v 4.0.5.

Thanks.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Neal McKegney (551422) | answered Jul 11 '14, 3:21 p.m.
Do you mean when a developer is added to the Project/Team Area, or when a developer is added to the work item?

If it's the work item, I don't believe there is a Developer field in the SCRUM template (there is an owned by), so it's possible the previous administrator added that field.  Either way, unless they've written a plugin for additional notification, email notification is governed by the user's profile settings.

If emails aren't being sent when the user is added to the Project/Team Area, you should be prompted to send an email when adding the user.  In that prompt, if it won't allow you to send them email, email notifications could be disabled in your repository.
Barb I selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Barb I commented Jul 11 '14, 3:36 p.m.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Indeed the normal emails that I know of (owner, subscriber... ) are working fine.

I believe that you are correct.and the verbal information I got about the additional out-of-the-box SCRUM specific email when the Developer field was populated was misguided.

I admit to doing the same thing in other circumstances -- ie. something that I was using years ago worked a certain way and I remembered it as the way it normally worked (not cumstomized) and that's what I told everyone years later.

We've got the developer field. That's a start. I don't suppose anyone knows how to send an email to the developer listed every time that field changes that they could assist?

One other answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jul 11 '14, 3:33 p.m.
edited Jul 11 '14, 3:43 p.m.
no.. notification when YOU are set as the owner  (assignee) is not available out of the box.  you would have to write a system extension, in Java to do this.
( AFTER the owner entry is set, the next time the owner will be notified when it is changed)
this class of notifications has been requested for a long time.
I have proposed we form a user group to define the requirements and create such an extension we can all use (open source)
https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=177613

edit: you can't use javascript as there is poor/no support for manipulating the contributor (aka user) type fields

edit 2: I don't see a 'developer' field in any workitem in the scrum template

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.