It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to deploy the Unconfigured Process Template?

S S (141418) | asked Jul 10 '14, 8:38 a.m.
edited Jul 14 '14, 8:41 a.m. by Jennifer Cianchetta-Riordan (2512)
I want to create a new project area that will essentially share the process of a preexisting project area. I've done some reading and it looks like the only way to do this is through the Unconfigured Process template. How exactly do I deploy this template to create a new project area of that type. Also, if I deploy this Unconfigured Process template, will it overwrite any of the customizations I have made to current out of the box templates like Scrum, etc? 

Comments
Robert Wen commented Jul 10 '14, 9:15 a.m.

Are you sure about this?  I thought if you selected the same process template as your existing process area, you would have the same process. 

S S commented Jul 10 '14, 9:22 a.m.

Our project area has been so extensively customized that when I try to use the automatic initialization based on a snapshot of the existing template, the new project area is essentially useless. It does initialize but any of the work items, custom work item templates, etc are missing and can't be utilized.

sam detweiler commented Jul 10 '14, 9:24 a.m.

its just another template. so it will not interfere with any other template.  My dev system has a couple dozen templates.

when u did the initial install and 1st project, it should have installed the default templates, scrum and unconfigured are 2 of those.

I don't know where these initial templates are after the fact.  I did a search and didn't find a reference.

to do process sharing, you need to create a project with no personality of its own (thus the reason for using the unconfigured  'no personality' process template).
then it inherits its personality from the sharing project.

S S commented Jul 10 '14, 10:11 a.m.

The Unconfigured template wasn't installed during the initial install. I'm having trouble finding where to actually go to grab and deploy that particular template. 

sam detweiler commented Jul 10 '14, 10:24 a.m. | edited Jul 10 '14, 10:39 a.m.

found it..

logon to the web UI, https://server:port/ccm/admin
on the gear icon, top right, drop down and select manage templates,
then select deploy predefined templates

it warns that templates with same names will be overlayed..

so, rename your scrum (and other) template(s) before u do this

you can also do it from the eclipse,-> repo connection->new project
with the same warning

Phillip Piper commented Jul 10 '14, 2:01 p.m.

So I am not sure I saw a clear answer to this question...I understand that if you Deploy Templates it will update the existing templates with the same name. Does that have any impact to existing projects that were created from that template? Meaning is their a linkage between the template and project areas such that changes to the template will automatically impact those? Or is it that once the project area is created and initialized from the template its pretty much a standalone entity? 

sam detweiler commented Jul 10 '14, 2:06 p.m.

Once the project is created, there is no active usage of the template file anymore. There is a link from the project to the template for documentation purposes.

if you were to change the template, none of that would be reflected in the projects created before the change.
(that is why the shared template approach was created)

so, protect your existing template(s) if u have customized it/them by renaming and changing the 'process' name string, then load the default templates, then
delete the ones u don't want (default scrum, ...) then rename the saved ones back..

u could also install the product on a sandbox, install the default templates on the first project, export the unconfigured, then import it alone on the production system.

showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments

One answer

permanent link
Erica Tran (1.4k7) | answered Jul 10 '14, 4:10 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Here is the topic in the 4.0.6 info center about using a process from another project.  The project created must use the " Unconfigured Process template".  Is this what you were looking for?

4.0.6 info center: Modifying a project area to use another project area's process

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jul 10 '14, 5:10 p.m.

no.. when he deployed his server initially, he deleted the unconfigured template.
now he wants it back.

only way I've found to get it, is install all of the default process templates..  but that is a pain, cause it would update/overwrite any changes he might have made...

Erica Tran commented Jul 11 '14, 12:03 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Sam,
If you have another server that has the unconfigured process template, you can export it to a file.  Then import it on the server where it is missing.

sam detweiler commented Jul 11 '14, 12:10 p.m.

Yes, I know how to do it for me.. but I am not the person asking the question..

I gave this as an additional approach.. (if you don't have  spare server, install the freebie to get the template)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.