It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC - Question regarding creating enumeraton

Kazuki Nobutani (411621) | asked Feb 21 '17, 8:23 p.m.
retagged Feb 24 '17, 5:25 p.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)

Hello,

When you create an enum attribute in a project, it prompts you to choose where to store it.
"Process specification" or "Database".
Under the Note section in the knowledge center document, it says

If you store the enumeration in the database, you can add new values to the enumeration directly from the work item editor, even if you do not have permissions to modify the process specification. You still require permissions to add new values.
  1. This note suggests that you can in fact "create" a new enum value rather than simply adding a new value to the work item. But this is not true, right?
    My understanding is that you can only new value of enum from the process configuration.
  2. Does anyone know the difference here?
I have tested with 2 enum attributes. One stored in database and one stored in process specification.
Tried with an user with team member access (No "Modify the process specification" access) and I could "add" both of the enum type from the Web UI. So I am confused about the difference.

If lacks of information, please let me know.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21114139) | answered Feb 22 '17, 12:34 a.m.
edited Feb 22 '17, 12:40 a.m.

Hi, Kazuki

The difference is that you can actually create a new value when stored in database option is used.
You will need to have "Save enumeration" > Create new enumeration value' permission to do that.
When you add the new enumeration attribute to presentation, you will need to check ' "allow to add new literals" checkbox in Eclipse client or set "allowAnyValue" property to true in web client.
Hope this helps.

Kazuki Nobutani selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Feb 22 '17, 2:14 a.m. | edited Feb 22 '17, 2:15 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Don, in the past a caveat of the database storage was, that process sharing did not work for those enumerations. Is that fixed in any version of RTC?

Don Yang commented Feb 22 '17, 7:24 p.m.

Hi, Ralph. yes, DB enumeration is not inherited in the process sharing and it is classified as a RFE: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=289206
and this WI was rejected.
Some more discussions in:
https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=202554

In sharing process, we suggest to  use enumeration in process specification rather than in DB.

Kazuki Nobutani commented Feb 22 '17, 11:43 p.m.

Thank you Don-san!
I enabled those options in Process configuration, then I see a the exactly the same icon to add new values!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.