It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Duplicating a test script

Jeffrey Burke (312637) | asked Jun 30 '14, 9:13 a.m.
When someone duplicates a test script for the purpose of using the duplicated test script in a different Test Case is there really a second Test Script record or is the same Test Script just being linked to by two different Test Cases?

Any clarification on the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Georg Kellner (840479109) | answered Jun 30 '14, 10:12 a.m.
Hi Jeffrey,

if you want to use one script in several TCs, you don't have to duplicate it, because you can use the script in as much as you want TCs.

Duplicating a scripted is intended to make life easier:
If you have TC 1 with script A, and you need for a script TC 2 which is similar to script A (maybe one step changed and two additional steps), you can duplicate it and change the needed steps.

You can duplicate it with references (maybe Test Data) or without references.

In both cases you'll get a completly independet test script entry in your database.

greetings georg.
Jeffrey Burke selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Jeffrey Burke commented Jun 30 '14, 10:19 a.m.

Thank you Ara and Georg for your responses.

What happened is that someone duplicated a test script to be used in two different test cases but when they updated the one test script it was also updating the other test script. To me it looks like the same test script linked to two different test cases. They said they used the duplicate option. So I'm not sure why it is behaving that way.
The test scripts are manual and they both have the same id.

Georg Kellner commented Jun 30 '14, 10:23 a.m.

Never trust an user. :-D
One possibility:
They've duplicated a test script, but referenced the original script in the second test case.
Or:
They duplicated it with references, so for my understanding you see this in the original testcase as well as in new created once.

Jeffrey Burke commented Jun 30 '14, 10:32 a.m.

Georg,

Thanks again! My guess is the first possibility you mentioned is probably what happened.

Thanks,
Jeff

One other answer

permanent link
Ara Masrof (3.2k15) | answered Jun 30 '14, 10:10 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Jeffrey 

The 'Duplicate' functionality within QM will create a new artifact; so If you are duplicating a Manual Test Script, the result will be a new Manual Test script that can then be modified without affecting the original Manual Test Script

When you browse for your Test Scripts, you will see two entries, the original and the copy  

Comments
Jeffrey Burke commented Jun 30 '14, 10:33 a.m.

Thanks Ara for your reply!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.