It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to import Test Case Execution Order for a Suite?

Robert Huet (23112684) | asked Oct 07 '17, 2:30 p.m.

I am importing a large number of Test Cases and associating them to Test Suites using the RQM Excel Importer.  However, RQM 6.0.4 is not using the ordering in my spreadsheet to set an initial Execution Order.  How can I set the Test Case Execution Order in the spreadsheet?

Because of the large number of Test Cases being imported, we do not want to have to go back into each Test Suite and manually adjust the Execution Order.

Thanks,
Robert

Comments
Don Yang commented Oct 09 '17, 1:23 a.m. | edited Oct 09 '17, 1:25 a.m.

My understanding is that there is some sequence control among the test artifacts for example test case should be exported before test case execution record but no order control mechanism within same artifact type such as test cases. So it seems to me ExcelImporter won't control the export order for test cases.
I leave to other comments on this as I may be wrong with the latest version of the tool.

Robert Huet commented Oct 09 '17, 11:42 a.m.

So there is no way to set the Execution Order attribute on a Test Case?  That seems like a big oversight since Test Suites often require a sequential ordering of Test Cases.

Can Execution Order be set via the REST API so that I can write a procedure to adjust Execution Order after the spreadsheet has been exported to RQM?  Any other workarounds you might suggest?

Thanks,
Robert

Don Yang commented Oct 10 '17, 2:56 a.m.

My understanding on your scenario is that you have set order in spreadsheet for test case, however, using ExcelImporter to export those test cases into RQM does not honor  the order of test cases during export. When executing the test suite, it will run at the sequence how it is like in RQM(which is no longer as the same order as what it is in Spreadsheet) and that is not what you expected. If that is the case, that is what I said above that ExcelImporter does not keep the order of spreadsheet for same type of artifact(such as test case). If what you mean

So there is no way to set the Execution Order attribute on a Test Case?  That seems like a big oversight since Test Suites often require a sequential ordering of Test Cases.

is not related to the exported test case in RQM not aligned with the order in spreadsheet, please clarify.

Robert Huet commented Oct 10 '17, 8:48 a.m. | edited Oct 10 '17, 9:38 a.m.

Since RQM Excel Importer tool ignores the test case order in the spreadsheet when setting the test case's Execution Order in RQM, I would have hoped there was a way to set it in the config (.cfg) file, like: testcase.execution_order = H.  If not, I would hope there is a way to set it in the OSLC API so it can be fixed after the export to RQM is complete via some utility I would write.  I will research this.

One answer

permanent link
Robert Huet (23112684) | answered Oct 10 '17, 10:21 a.m.

Thanks, Don.  Looks like there is no way to set the Execution Order of Test Cases when using the RQM Excel Importer to load Test Cases to RQM and link them to existing Test Suites with the following config entry: testcase.testsuite=Linkexisting("urn:com.ibm.rqm:testsuite:"&A).  Also, I could not find any way to use OSLC to alter the Execution Order after the load.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.