It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Links, semantics and visualisation in a plan for Blocks/Depends on

Dariusz Brzozowski (122) | asked Jun 10 '14, 4:57 a.m.
Hello,
Recently I have come across a problem related to visualisation of links/relations on a tree in a plan.
When displaying a simple relation of Parent/Child (P/C) between work item A and B (A parent of B) then everything works fine.
However, if I create a relation between A and B such that "A Blocks B" (A -Blk-> B) then it is natural that "blocking" action comes from A and B depends on A. 
When such a relation is displayed in a plan as Tree "Blocks -> Depends" then it is shown as:
B-|
    |> A
Although the roadmap view of these items clearly shows A -> B (Finish-to-Start dependency).

After a little bit of consideration the semantics of creation of various relations differs.
1) Parent/Child: When creating this relationship for item A we actually point at its Parent or its Child. 
2) Blocks/Depends: When creating this relationship from within item A to item B we say "A Blocks B" this is active verb instead of inactive noun (as in P/C relation). If we wanted that relation to be analogous to Parent/Child we'd need to point at "Dependant" - this way creating A Blocks B relation.

The difference in semantics may be the cause of the inverse visualization of the Blocks/Depends vs. Parent/Child.
If in A we use "Parent" and point at B then we get the B being on top when displaying Parent/Child hierarchy
If in A we use "Blocks" and point at B then by analogy (to Parent/child) we get B being on top when displaying Blocks/Depends - but this is wrong because B is a Dependant of A as A Blocks B.
I'd appreciate comments on this subject before requesting IBM to fix that... as I may be missing something.
Regards,
Darek B.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jun 10 '14, 7:57 a.m.

the visualization depends on the perspective..

A has children B,C,D,E, so A comes first if you are looking from A (this is easy to combine)
B,C,D,E have a a common parent, A, so B,C,D,E would come first , each showing its parent.  (this is not easy to combine)

F depends on G, F would come first, showing the dependency on G
G blocks F, G would come first, showing it blocks F

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.