It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Problem with time-based fields

Ann Scanlan (622) | asked Jun 09 '14, 7:01 a.m.
Hello,
I'm trying to create a customized work item that is used to track a review process. We've added two new tabs to the work item to capture work that is done by two different people, a reviewer and an author. Both the reviewer and the author need to record their hours spent on the work item. I don't want to track estimates, just actual time spent.

The problem I'm running into is that fields of Time duration do not seem to save. If I use a time spent field, there's a validation issue and the value can't be saved. (That problem seems to be because the time spent field has no estimate to use for validation.) If I use a time estimates field, then the two time estimates fields are somehow linked, and when I try to record a value in the reviewer tab, the estimate field on the author tab is automatically updated.

I've also tried to create a customized attribute,  but the problem there is that only the duration type is available, and I cannot seem to get duration values to save and display in the web client. (I've not tested in the desk top client, but it's a moot point because our users prefer the web client.)

I've considered just creating a decimal field, but we're going to be linking to other project areas that might need to run reports on our numbers, so I don't want to create a solution that works for us but doesn't play completely well with the other project areas.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Ann

One answer

permanent link
Lily Wang (4.9k714) | answered Jun 09 '14, 8:26 a.m.
Hi Ann,
Are you using Scrum process template? 
In that case, you can think about to use the "Time Tracking" feature provided by the Formal Project Management template.

Please see http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m5/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.team.workitem.doc/topics/c_timetracking.html about the time tracking function.
And refer to pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m5/topic/com.ibm.jazz.platform.doc/topics/t_customize_template_formal_features.html about how to add the feature to the Scrum process configuration. 

Comments
Ann Scanlan commented Jun 10 '14, 8:22 a.m.

Hi Lily,
Thanks for the prompt advice. I am not using the scrum process template. I'm just using a cloned version of the regular task work item type.

I'll try to learn more about the scrum process template, but I'm not sure if that's going to help us.

Thanks,
Ann

Ann Scanlan commented Jun 10 '14, 9:25 a.m.

Actually, I had another look and we do have a Time Spent field available to us, but the problem with a time-based field of Time Spent kind is that the time spent is automatically validated against an estimate. In this case, we are not recording estimates, so we get a validation error.
Is there a way to 'de-couple' a time-based field of Time Spent kind from whatever logic is baked into RTC to validate the time spent against the estimated time?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.