It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Work Item Editors: Different fields depending on state?

Dan Rivett (1211115) | asked Apr 16 '09, 7:32 a.m.
I don't think it's possible in RTC 1.0, but wondered if it's possible in 2.0.

Basically what I'm looking to do is display different fields depending on the state of a work item. For example if we close a work item as a Duplicate, different fields are necessary to be filled in compared to closing it as just Documented. Instead of having all the different fields possible to be filled in on one screen, it would be nice to be able to conditionally display the correct fields based on the close state or resolution. Otherwise it's confusing to users, and no improvement on what they currently use.

As a bit more information, this is for use with integration with RETAIN - IBM's System for tracking PMRs and APARs in the Service stream.

We could have a separate tab for each different close code in RETAIN (DUP, DOC, etc) but it would be much neater to have one tab for close information that displays the fields required for the particular close code (or resolution) selected.

The worst case scenario looks like I may have to create a giagantic custom presentation type which displays the relevant fields for the close code/resolution selected. But this does not seem an ideal solution by any means so thought I'd see if there's a better way of doing it.

Many thanks in advance,
Dan Rivett
IBM CICS TS L3 Service

One answer

permanent link
Dan Rivett (1211115) | answered Apr 16 '09, 8:17 a.m.
Another option would be able to hide/show certain tabs in the editor depending on the state/value of a field. But again I don't believe this is currently possible?

I'm assuming something like that could be a new extension-point (server) which is driven pre-open of the work item in the editor to decide which tabs to display.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.