It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Does the DW connection setting "Automatic Database Statistics Update" control whether the Oracle 11.2.0.3g "Anayze Table" command is used?

Roger Boester (656) | asked May 13 '14, 2:37 p.m.
Running JTS/RTC/RQM 4.0.5 on an Oracle 11g DB.  We have performance issues and our DBA team has found that each time we have these problems there is an Oracle ANALYZE TABLE command that has been running for a long time by our defined DW user.  In looking through the parameters under the Data Warehouse Connection section I see a setting named "Automatic Database Statistics Update" with a description of "Automatically update the database statistics. Disable this if the Database is already updating the statistics automatically."  DBAs tell me that the ANALYZE TABLE command is deprecated and should not be used and that statistics are run automatically on our DB.

So my real question is can I disable this setting in our configuration without causing problems with our CLM tools, and will this help with performance?
 Is this safe?

One answer

permanent link
Benjamin Silverman (4.1k610) | answered May 13 '14, 6:35 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes, you can disable this setting.  Leaving it enabled will run the ANALYZE command each time the star ETL is executed.  If you are running statistics as part of your normal DB maintenance procedure, you do not need this enabled.  Just make sure it is disabled in advanced properties for all applications (ie - qm/admin, ccm/admin, jts/admin).  Hope it helps,

Comments
Roger Boester commented May 14 '14, 9:09 a.m.

Thanks Benjamin!
We will give this a try and see if it helps.
Since apparently this Oracle command is deprecated, are there any plans for future releases of the CLM tools to change this to a more modern mechanism or command?  Also it would be great if this, and all other settings, were better documented with a more detailed explanation of their purpose and ramifications.  Or maybe they are and I cannot find it in the IBM Web maze...

Benjamin Silverman commented May 14 '14, 9:28 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I didn't see any work items that suggest this will be done.  We have customized the Insight Data Manager ETL for Rational Insight to use DBMS_STATS for some customers who want to schedule using the new commands, but is not something we ship with the tool.  I would suggest creating an enhancement for this to work another way in a future release.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.