It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Save operation participant trigger failed when adding 'Implements Requirement' link to a story

Dmitry Gorshenin (969) | asked Apr 17 '14, 7:35 a.m.
Hi All,

Working with a story, I added an 'Implements Requirement' link and pressed 'Save' button. Adding a link was the only change, and my Save Operation Participant did not start. If I added such a link and some other story modifications, the Participant started well. As far as I can suppose, adding links of this type doesn't actually modify the work item itself. Can there be any legal opportunity to force Save Operation Participant to react to an 'Implements requirement' link adding event?

Thanks a lot in advance

Accepted answer

permanent link
Aradhya K (1.4k54345) | answered Apr 17 '14, 8:05 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Dmitry
This is a limitation on the operation participants. adding or removing the cross application links will not trigger any of the preconditions or participants, the reason for this is the licensing.
With the Analyst license you can create a link to the work item. If this action triggers the Work Item save operation then user need to have the Developer or contributor license as well. This is one of the reason why the Work item Operation will not be triggered when adding the "Implements Requirement" link.
Dmitry Gorshenin selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Dmitry Gorshenin commented Apr 17 '14, 8:24 a.m.

Hi Aradhya,

Thanks a lot for your clear and exact answer! Do you maybe know some workarounds for this situation? I feel there isn't one, but my tiny experience doesn't allow me to be quite sure.

Aradhya K commented Apr 17 '14, 8:30 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I was also struck with the same problem. I wanted to freeze the work item once it is closed and the read only precondition does not block the addition of links. I created a defect as well to know that it is not possible to catch just the addition of links. 

Dmitry Gorshenin commented Apr 17 '14, 8:42 a.m.

Ok, all clear now. Thank you!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.