It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can't find com.ibm.team.common.tests.utils project for JUnit2 launch configuration

Brandy Guillory (5311925) | asked Mar 23 '14, 12:43 a.m.
edited Mar 23 '14, 5:08 p.m.
Hi,

I am following the IBM RTC 4.0 Extensibility document for the RTC 4.0 Extensions workshop and I have followed the guide up until step 1.6 which is Lab 1.

I am on this step:On the Run Configurations dialog, select JUnit2 Launch > [RTCExt] Create RTC Test
Database and then click Run.Note that if you switch to the Bundles tab, you will see
that three of the bundles you imported earlier (the test bundle that creates the database
and the licenses)

Well, I am not able to navigate to com.ibm.team.common.tests.utils when I click browse on project for run a single test. I also do not see the bundles that were imported earlier. I did a search and see com.ibm.team.common.tests.utils.feature in the RTC SDK i downloaded but it is not appearing to chose in run configuration .I have RTC 4.0 plugin. RTC 4.0.5 SDK. Is this needed as I want to write queries against my RTC server.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Mar 24 '14, 3:33 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Mar 24 '14, 1:00 p.m.
Brandy,

if you fail to find the JUnit Launch, you did something wrong in 1.4_22 you basically failed to successfully import the required plugin at least for the tests. Most likely you did not check the import as source code. I would suggest to delete all the imported projects and do the whole section again. Pay a lot of attention to the different settings for the import.
Brandy Guillory selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Brandy Guillory commented Mar 24 '14, 12:38 p.m.

Hi Ralph,

I found the problem I had skipped a step so i went through the entire Lab 1 and now i am reading your document. "understanding and using the RTC java client api". I am at the step where i want to create a main method per your doc "Then you create your main class, that provides the main() method to be called later" . I am new to this so, where?what package do I create my main method to start getting at the data?

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 24 '14, 1:08 p.m.

Hi Brandy,

what do you want to do?

If you want to create some plain java client libraries automation, as described in that section, you follow https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ProgrammaticWorkItemCreation which describes how a main class could look like.

For a plain java client library class, you can name the class as you want, let the wizard generate the main() method you need to call it later and go ahead with the basic code from the above example.

I tried to refine the text in the post to express this, not sure it is working. Feedback would be welcome.

Brandy Guillory commented Mar 24 '14, 1:42 p.m. | edited Mar 24 '14, 1:43 p.m.

Hi Ralph,

I am also looking at the programmatic work item creation doc and your other doc on automation using work item queries for automation.

I basically need to either pull my existing queries that I have created from RTC , run them and save them to either an excel or XML document or create a query in the java class to run and save to either excel or XML

Now i understand what you are saying about letting the wizard create my class I just do not know where i should right click and have it create the new class, what package I should create the class in or does it matter?

I created it in this:package net.jazz.rtcext.workitem.extensions.common;

not sure that is correct though, forgive my lack of knowledge I mainly use java for scripting testcases/automation.

Thank you for all of your help

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 24 '14, 1:51 p.m.

I still don't understand what you are trying to attempt.

If you want to create your own automation, create a new project. Name the project and package not to conflict with existing projects and packages. The Class wizard is File>New>Class.

See https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/using-work-item-queris-for-automation/ for code to run queries as client library code.

If you want to export queries and save them somewhere, I am wondering if that is easily possible. I have only used queries, not tried to save them. It is potentially possible to analyze the terms and serialize them, but it is probably not easy at all.

Brandy Guillory commented Mar 24 '14, 2:22 p.m.

You answered my question perfectly. I have to create a new project/package & class to develop against the client api and not create my class in the existing packages in case of conflict ! Thanks. Ill give it a shot.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.