It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

jazz team server setup problems

David Crocker (262) | asked Mar 28 '09, 11:28 a.m.
I am trying to start the jazz team server setup. During the configure database step I get a message that the configure database options have been restricted based on the installed server license. I then click on License Key Management. When I try to upload the server activation key I get the following error:
Error uploading Server Activation key: The server is not responding; it may be unavailable...

Any ideas on what I am missing.

I am running this on my XP machine. Once we have a basic understanding of the software, we will install on our server.

9 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Mar 29 '09, 6:43 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am trying to start the jazz team server setup. During the configure database step I get a message that the configure database options have been restricted based on the installed server license. I then click on License Key Management. When I try to upload the server activation key I get the following error:
Error uploading Server Activation key: The server is not responding; it may be unavailable...

Any ideas on what I am missing.

I am running this on my XP machine. Once we have a basic understanding of the software, we will install on our server.

Hi

What version are you trying to install (Express-C, Express or Standard)? It sounds like an Express-C install. Also - how are you installing - Installation Manager or unzipping the client and server?

regards

anthony

permanent link
David Crocker (262) | answered Mar 29 '09, 10:20 a.m.
I am installing the Standard version. I used the installation manager to install.

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Mar 29 '09, 5:58 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am installing the Standard version. I used the installation manager to install.

OK - so you have a few options here:

If you just want to get up and running as quickly as possible - go to this link https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/1.0.1.1?p=allDownloads and grab the Express-C client and server zip versions. Then, you can unzip these files to a new directory and start the server - it will be ready to go immediately. I tend to extract into the c: drive and everything will go into c:\jazz - the server will be on c:\jazz\server and you can start using the server.startup batch file.

To debug your Installation Manager (IM) install - did your IM install for the server complete, and is this problem occurring when you run the setup steps?

Apologies for the Q's but not sure where you got to in the install.

regards

anthony

permanent link
David Crocker (262) | answered Mar 29 '09, 8:07 p.m.
The install completed normally. This happens when I run the setup steps. I go to step 2 for the database setup. I have a message that database has been disabled because of the license. I click on the license key and when I try to upload the license jar file I get the message:

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Mar 30 '09, 4:04 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The install completed normally. This happens when I run the setup steps. I go to step 2 for the database setup. I have a message that database has been disabled because of the license. I click on the license key and when I try to upload the license jar file I get the message:

OK - so your server is running (because you are running on the web interface and could login as ADMIN). Maybe something on your machine is blocking your comms (firewall, access rights to the jazz/server directory maybe?) or there is something from a previous attempt to install that is causing problems.

Did you install RTC on this machine before? What database are you trying to connect to? I assume you are running 1.0.1.1 - but can you confirm this.

If this is a new install on a machine that has not previously had RTC installed - you should not need a key as a trial key is available by default.

If you choose the db as Derby - what happens?

What database did you want to install?

Try setting up against a Derby database (this is supplied as a default) and let's get you working. Once you have Derby running, login using ADMIN on the https://<servername>:9443/jazz/admin and try and upload your license key via the server (use the Server/Configuration/License Key Management section). We can always switch to your preferred database later.

I am very curious about this now. I am running XP myself and have installed just about all the releases on my local machine and not seen this problem. I do have admin rights on my machine though.

anthony

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Mar 30 '09, 2:40 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

OK - so your server is running (because you are running on the web interface and could login as ADMIN). Maybe something on your machine is blocking your comms (firewall, access rights to the jazz/server directory maybe?) or there is something from a previous attempt to install that is causing problems.

Did you install RTC on this machine before? What database are you trying to connect to? I assume you are running 1.0.1.1 - but can you confirm this.

If this is a new install on a machine that has not previously had RTC installed - you should not need a key as a trial key is available by default.

Try setting up against a Derby database (this is supplied as a default) and let's get you working. Once you have Derby running, login using ADMIN on the https://<servername>:9443/jazz/admin and try and upload your license key via the server (use the Server/Configuration/License Key Management section). We can always switch to your preferred database later.

I am very curious about this now. I am running XP myself and have installed just about all the releases on my local machine and not seen this problem. I do have admin rights on my machine though.

anthony

I spoke to David earlier today - he is using the WAS server (6.1) that ships with RAD. We are investigating the errors he is getting.

anthony

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Mar 31 '09, 2:24 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

anthony

I spoke to David earlier today - he is using the WAS server (6.1) that ships with RAD. We are investigating the errors he is getting.

anthony

After another discussion tonight - this WAS server is actually being run from within RAD. This would probably work, but as he now has access to a full WAS deployment on another server, he is going to go ahead and use that.

If anyone has tried using RTC with the server part running on the WAS 6.1 server inside RAD 7 - you may want to chime in here and tell us what we did wrong.

regards

anthony

permanent link
David Crocker (262) | answered Mar 31 '09, 5:46 p.m.
I just finished trying to get RTC up and going on an NT server running WAS. I am getting the same problem as above.

I start the setup process.

I click on custom setup.

I have a note on the configure database step:
"Please Note: The database vendor options have been restricted based on the installed server license. Review the License Key Management page of the Admin UI for more information."

I click on the License Key Management link.

I click browse and select the license jar file.

At the top of my screen I receive the following error:

Thanks for any help!

permanent link
David Crocker (262) | answered Apr 01 '09, 8:08 a.m.
Problem solved:
1. I installed in the program files directory. I was sent an article that said we could not use spaces when defining the directories.
2. After I changed the heap size and pressed OK, I left the JVM screen. When I was entering the custom properties, I entered then under the server tab instead of the JVM tab.

I believe that the main problem with my installation was number 2. I placed the custom properties in the wrong place. The spaces in the directories could be a problem, but I made both changes at the same time.

Thanks for all of the help!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.