It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

floating license timeout for RTC shell integration (RTC 4.0.4)

Nozomu Matsushita (1766) | asked Mar 12 '14, 9:48 a.m.
I would like to use RTC shell integration, but I have one concern about the floating license timeout.
When is the floating license released using RTC shell integration?

It is my understanding that floating license should be spent when I log on to RTC server using shell integration admin console, and it should be released when I log out from RTC server using it.
However, I don't know that RTC server continues to catch the license forever unless I log out from RTC server explicitly using it.

I understand that there is a 2 hour period of inactivity that will release a floating license before RTC 4.0.4.
However, I think shell integration keeps connection to RTC server because it checks file differences between shell integration and RTC server periodically, so I am wondering that RTC shell integration continues to catch the floating license forever unless user logs out explicitly.

If my concern will be true, I would like to know how to avoid continuing to catch the floating license with the exception of log off by user explicitly because of efficient use of floating licenses.

Thanks.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Mar 13 '14, 5:33 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
My understanding is that the "has changed" check is performed against the metadata stored in the .jazz5 sandbox directory, and not against the server, in which case no server activity (or license) is required for that process.   If someone believes that this is not the case, please post a followup.
Nozomu Matsushita selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Nozomu Matsushita commented Mar 14 '14, 9:13 a.m. | edited Mar 14 '14, 1:31 p.m.

Thank you for your answer.

I can understand how to check "has changed" from shell integration (and Eclipse client, too).
There is nothing to worry about this concern now.

Thanks again.

One other answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k614) | answered Mar 12 '14, 6:33 p.m.
There is some misunderstanding here. I will rephrase it and see if it resolves your concern.
The floating license is hosted by the License Server (in many cases the JTS server), and it is the License Server that releases and revokes the license, not any clients. When a client attempts an action which requires a license, a request is made to the License Server. If an appropriate license is available, it will be given to the client and a timeout is set for the lease (120 minutes pre-4.0.5 and 30 minutes post-4.0.5). If the client attempts any similar actions during the timeout period, the license is given and the timeout is reset. If no further attempts are made when the timeout lapses, the License Server revokes the license. If the client explicitly logs out during the timeout periods, the license is immediately returned.
So there is no such thing as "catch the floating license forever". If a client needs a license periodically, it basically keeps renewing the lease, which is expected.

Comments
Nozomu Matsushita commented Mar 12 '14, 10:30 p.m. | edited Mar 13 '14, 5:30 p.m.

Thank you for your answer.
I understand how license server and each client act about floating license, and I apologize that I used misunderstanding phrases.

However, my concern is that the floating license which I used is not returned with the exception of log off by user explicitly using RTC shell integration. Is it true or false?
The reason why I think is that RTC shell integration accesses to RTC server periodically because it needs to check differences between shell integration workarea and RTC server stream or repository workspace periodically on the memory-resident shell if I do not use it on purpose.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.