It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Dual RTC setup, linking builds to Work items across different RTCs

Ketan Divecha (261812) | asked Nov 03 '13, 9:12 p.m.
Hi all,

I posted a question last week about linking work items to change sets across different RTC servers. The answer was to create cross server communication thru OSLC, link project areas, then link change sets on first RTC to change requests on second RTC. Now the problem is, when I perform the builds thru first RTC (one with change sets), the build information doesnt get linked to work items (i.e. change request) on second RTC. Is there a way to link change request to both change sets as well as builds thru OSLC ?

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Nov 04 '13, 5:58 a.m. | edited Nov 04 '13, 6:00 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I am not sure I understand your question and what you are doing.

If you set up the required friends relationships, a user should be able to link a work item on one server to a change set on a different server. Several RTC users do this.

If you run a build, the build information is not automatically linked to work items, as far as I can tell. The Build result can be linked to a work item on the build result view.

Are you referring to the workItem Publisher ant task in a build to link work items build results. See: https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.team.build.doc/topics/r_workitempublisher.html and have problems with that?

Ketan Divecha commented Nov 04 '13, 4:17 p.m.

Ralph,

"If you run a build, the build information is not automatically linked to work items, as far as I can tell."

When the work items and change sets are on the same RTC, after running the build, I see "Included in the Builds" link under the links tab of the work item. However, when the work item is on a different RTC than the change set, after running the build through RTC that has the change set the "Included in the Builds" link under the links tab of the work item doesnt show. How would i make that link appear.  

"The Build result can be linked to a work item on the build result view."

I know I can link to a work item reported against a build, however that's not what I am after, I want to have a link to the work items included in the build, which you cant do manually on the build results view.

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 05 '13, 2:23 a.m.

What is the value of that? Is the work item supposed to be linked to only the one build, where t first came in, or in any subsequent build as well? And what business value does this produce?

Ketan Divecha commented Nov 05 '13, 10:58 a.m.

"What is the value of that?"

The value would be traceability, so you can tell from the build results page what work items i.e. functionalities are included in a given build.

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 05 '13, 11:07 a.m. | edited Nov 05 '13, 11:08 a.m.

As far as I can tell, you can get that information today, built in directly into the build result, as long as the change sets are linked to the work items they are supposed to belong to. You can even compare different build results and the like.

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 05 '13, 11:15 a.m.

This built in capability should also work across different CCM servers as long as they are registered to the same JTS or befriended.

See https://jazz.net/products/rational-team-concert/features/build
Traceability with other artifacts

for the work item that went into the build. See

Comparing builds

to see how to compare builds to find out which work items with source code make the difference.

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 05 '13, 11:18 a.m.

Reading the question again and again, we might have found the background to the question....

Getting back to your question above, you should be able to link work items from different RTC repositories to change sets, as long as you can reach them (registered or otherwise being friends). Then they should show up in the build result as well. Is this not the case for you?

sam detweiler commented Nov 05 '13, 11:22 a.m. | edited Nov 05 '13, 12:22 p.m.

remember because of the foreign RTC, he has change requests, not workitems.

the linking happens cleanly for workitems,  but not change requests.

Ketan Divecha commented Nov 05 '13, 11:32 a.m.

Exactly, so how would i link  the change requests on foreign RTC to build results on RTC with change sets/build results.

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 05 '13, 12:07 p.m.

The developer would link them to his change sets, before delivering e.g.in the pending changes view. They have something to do with the code, then link them to the code, whatever work item type it is.

If you want to track a build result, you can link a work item to the build from the build result. e.g. in the Eclipse client click on the build result, in the "Reported work items" you can link work items to the build. This is designed to report defects to a builds, or tracking build work items to coordinate work on the build towards a release.

Finally, there are ANT tasks you can use to link work items to a build result.

sam detweiler commented Nov 05 '13, 12:23 p.m.

but no ant task to link a build result to a change request... so the developer has to do the work.

Ketan Divecha commented Nov 05 '13, 12:27 p.m.

Ralph,

You are not reading the questions properly. You keep repeating stuff, I already know. I need specific answer on how to link build results to change requests on foreign RTC. You cant link change sets to work items on foreign RTC thru Associate Work item in the eclipse IDE, hence you have to use Associate Change Request (so I was told in my previous post), but when I do that the build results are not getting linked to work items on foreign RTC. As Sam pointed out, the linking happens cleaning for workitems,  but not change requests.

showing 5 of 12 show 7 more comments

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.