It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Edit External User Registry

Dennis Johns (133) | asked Feb 20 '14, 3:47 p.m.
How do I edit the external user registry to allow me admin access to create a lifecyle project in an RQM sandbox at jazz .net?

5 answers

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Feb 20 '14, 6:26 p.m.
There seems to be some misunderstanding. For a user to complete a particular operation in Jazz applications, there are three things that you need to consider - user registry, user groups and license.
The user registry is used for user authentication. Put it simply, it holds the user name and password.
The user groups are actually in the user registry as well but sometimes they are configured and treated in a separate way. This will determine whether a user belongs to JazzAdmins group or the like.
The license is required for creating and modifying entities in most areas in the applications.
What exact error did you get when you try to create a lifecycle project?

permanent link
Dennis Johns (133) | answered Feb 21 '14, 1:54 p.m.

Error instantiating the template. Validation of user roles failed You must have JazzAdmins or JazzProjectAdmins privledges.

I am unable to edit my role; the selections are read-only.

Thanks!

Comments
Dennis Johns commented Feb 21 '14, 2:17 p.m.

When I look at my user profile, my permissions are set at JazzUsers and the screen is read-only.

The message at the top of the screen says 'Because this server is connected to an external user registry, some user details including User ID, E-Mail Address, and Repository Permissions are read-only. to modify these read-only details, you must make changes in the external user registry.

Dennis Johns commented Feb 21 '14, 2:20 p.m.

Also, I created the project in a sandbox, if that makes a difference.

Donald Nong commented Feb 23 '14, 6:55 p.m.

You have to change your role in the "external user registry" - whatever it may be. If it's an LDAP server, you need to use an LDAP client with admin privilege. If it's Active Directory, you need to ask your network/system admin to do so. Basically, your user account in the external user registry has to be in a group called JazzAdmins.
You cannot do this from within Jazz, as you have already found out.

permanent link
Dennis Johns (133) | answered Feb 24 '14, 3:01 p.m.

It would be Active Directory for us, however getting that done on the base here involves paperwork and management approvals, so this option won't work.

Any other options?

Thanks!

Comments
Donald Nong commented Feb 24 '14, 6:10 p.m.

All the users/groups information comes from the external user registry. If you cannot put your own user account in the JazzAdmins group, get someone in this group to initialize the project. Or, abandon using AD completely and use something else that you can control.

permanent link
Vidya Malkarnekar (1.0k15) | answered Feb 24 '14, 3:26 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Dennis,

The sandbox environment provided by IBM on jazz.net has limit use for exploring the features and capabilities of the product. You cannot create more than one project ( you can see note  below your existing project "One sandbox project per user. Projects are visible only to project members.:).

If you want to evaluate RQM by creating  more projects etc.,  you should be download it and install it in your environment.

-Vidya

permanent link
Dennis Johns (133) | answered Feb 24 '14, 4:46 p.m.

Vidya,

RQM will eventually be installed with RFT in an enclosed four workstation environment, at which time I will be evaluating the possibilites of our setup. The environment is not complete at this time, hence my effort to work in the sandbox was to prepare for the upcoming setup.

Is there a way to create the project initally with the Money That Matters Sample to view a fully populated project? Can the existing project be deleted and replaced by that project?

Thanks, Dennis

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.